Menu
tony_dwyer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Tivo+ and Samsung Smart TV

I have an odd problem, which is really, really annoying my wife.

We have a new Samsung UE65KU6100 65" LED smart TV and it's just great. However it doesn't seem to like our Virgin / Arris Tivo box much.

The Tivo goes into standby if it's not active for more than a short while. Then The TV seems to forget it's available. We turn on the TV and hit the Tivo standby on / off button on the remote and we get .... a blank screen. Wait a while in case the Tivo is rebooting. Nothing.

Select 'Source' on the TV and move it to 'Terrestrial TV' aka the arial and a the screen lights up with whatever is being broadcast. THEN select source again and move it back to the Tivo and

Voila

It works - Virgin cable TV is available.

This happens every time.

The Tivo is in HDMI port 1 and should be the default reception. Somehow the HDMI handshake is being buggered when the Tivo goes into standby.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Tivo+ and Samsung Smart TV

Well-documented bug. Advice is to set power savings settings to Always On to avoid V6 going into standby until a fix is available.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well-documented bug. Advice is to set power savings settings to Always On to avoid V6 going into standby until a fix is available.

0 Kudos
tony_dwyer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

I haven't seen the docs relating to this 'feature' but then I'm new here.

Oddly enough, I had an explore of the Tivo box settings about an hour ago and found the opion to set to 'always on' and enabled it.

I'll see what happens tomorrow after the TV has been off overnight.

tony_dwyer
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That didn't work. The Tivo box is in 'always on' mode, but the HDMI connection to the TV is lost, when the TV goes into standby mode. It is possible that the problem is with the TV, not the Tivo box. 

The TV was switched on this morning. No cable reception, as described in my opening post.
I've had to write up some instructions to guide my wife through the (admittedly not difficult) process of making the thing work.

Setting the Samsung TV to recieve Virgin cable TV.jpg 

She is distinctly unchuffed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello tony_dwyer,

Thanks for your posting.

Yes as Ernie_C has mentioned this is a known V6 bug NKE00008483 which is currently under investigation. The only work around available is to reboot but once a fix has been released then you shouldn't have this problem anymore.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this is causing at the moment and we hope it's resolved for you very soon.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tony_dwyer
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

We're getting round the issue. It's just a bit of a faff at times.

The other HDMI devices (Firestick, PC & Blu-ray) don't lose there connections.

0 Kudos
Emvalls
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

is there a fix for this problem yet?  I'm so fed up that I just want to get rid of Virgin altogether and get Sky Q.

I never had this problem with my original TiVo box.  I'm having to switch the box off at the wall socket at least once a day - it would be nice to just be able to turn on the TVs and watch it without this hassle.

Will be moving to Sky if this isn't sorted.  I'm paying over £100 a month for this!!!

thank you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emvalls,

I'm really sorry for the trouble, I can understand your frustration.

The team are still working on a fix for this. As soon as we have any updates we'll let you know.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos