Menu
stratus
Up to speed
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

TV Pixelation and catchup failing

I'm having a lot of pixelation on the TV service lately, seems to affect several channels and is worse in the evening. Sometimes we see a message that the signal for a channel is missing.

In addition, catchup either fails to start the program or fails part of the way into the program. This only happens when using on the TiVo box. If I watch catchup (iPlayer or 4OD for example) on a laptop or phone via wifi then the problem isn't seen.

RG22 area.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Pixelation and catchup failing

Then highly likely you have signal issues.

What did the Faults team say when you talked to them?

You'll get an immediate response if you give them a ring on 150 [VM phone] / 0345 454 1111 [non-VM phone] (from 08:00 until midnight, every day), or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page to initiate a live chat (from 08:00 until 20:00, Monday to Saturday)

This is primarily a user community forum and while the VM Forum Team do endeavour to read and, where appropriate, respond to every thread, it can take them from a few days to a couple of weeks to wade through the volume of posts. So for an technical issue, which this seems to be, your best line of inquiry is through the Faults team via the methods above.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
stratus
Up to speed
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi PrinterElf,

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I've never had anything fixed by talking to the Faults team - they don't listen to you, they just read from scripts and when everything fails there is no escalation path. Nobody in VM ever 'owns' a problem, so you keep having to repeat yourself. VM seem to think it's OK to waste paying customer's time rather than take a problem and resolve it. 

For well over a year I had slow peaktime broadband and the Faults team didn't seem to be able to talk to the Network team and the Network team won't talk to customers - unbelievable!  Basically the default position was that there wasn't a fault, so I gave up. Then, despite the fact that VM said there wasn't a fault the issue was fixed! I've got SamKnows graphs which show the problem and that it was fixed on 16th Sept to be exact. 

I don't think the Faults team are empowered to do anything except protect the rest of the company from customers.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

stratus wrote:

Hi PrinterElf,

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I've never had anything fixed by talking to the Faults team - they don't listen to you, they just read from scripts and when everything fails there is no escalation path. Nobody in VM ever 'owns' a problem, so you keep having to repeat yourself. VM seem to think it's OK to waste paying customer's time rather than take a problem and resolve it. 

For well over a year I had slow peaktime broadband and the Faults team didn't seem to be able to talk to the Network team and the Network team won't talk to customers - unbelievable!  Basically the default position was that there wasn't a fault, so I gave up. Then, despite the fact that VM said there wasn't a fault the issue was fixed! I've got SamKnows graphs which show the problem and that it was fixed on 16th Sept to be exact. 

I don't think the Faults team are empowered to do anything except protect the rest of the company from customers.

I wouldn't disagree with you on the poor service often encountered when you phone in. Unfortunately you might wait here on the forum for up to a fortnight and then get a response which only asks if you are still having a problem. It is often not much better on here.

What I usually tend to do is phone Customer Service. Choose the "Thinking of leaving" option, they are UK-based and do much more than deal with cancellations. If you have been suffering these problems for over a year and you may be out of contract now or soon, then you are in a strong position to demand something is done. 

But, stay polite as it helps.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi stratus

I'm sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service lately.

I've been able to run some tests on the set top box from our end and we're not detecting any errors from our end. I hope that means that things have improved? If not, get in touch and I'll do everything I can to escalate this from our end for you.

Apologies again for the inconvenience this has caused

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stratus
Up to speed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Craig,

How can the problem be fixed? You haven't done anything yet, have you?

The problem was still present last night when I tried to catch up on a Panorama program. I called 150 and wasted over an hour of my life that I won't ever get back. The two people I spoke to (abroad?) seemed to be working off of a script, didn't understand the problem and, quite frankly, probably lied to me. 

Does anyone from VM's senior management ever make test calls to the support desk?

Anyway, I've reported the issue and I now expect it to be dealt with in a professional manner. I don't expect it to be necessary to for me to commit time and effort to getting this fixed, after all,  I'm not on VMs payroll, on the contrary, I contribute to it!

Please let me know when you have fixed it.

stratus
Up to speed
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

When will you fix this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi stratus, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and apologies to hear that you're still having an issue Smiley Sad 

Checking the account it looks as though there are a very high number of timeouts that could be contributing to the issues you are having. 

Your box has been online for nearly a month so the first thing I would like to do is a full reboot of the box. This will clear away any stored timeouts so we can then monitor where they are coming from. 

Turn the TiVo® off at the mains and leave off for a few minutes. Turn back on and once it's all set up see how things are then. 

Everything else is looking great so fingers crossed this will resolve the issue you are having Smiley Happy

Come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stratus
Up to speed
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F,

I really don't understand the logic behind your response.

Firstly I reported this fault over a month ago, don't you think I would have restarted my box before reporting it? (I did)

Secondly, I restarted my box on the 25/26th Jan because there was a total network outage in this area (TV and Broadband), don't you have any records of this? How can you say my box has been online for a month?

Thirdly, resetting the box won't fix a fault, at best its a temporary workaround. A fault has a cause and until you fix the fault by removing the cause the symptoms will remain. This is basic fault-finding.   

Please stop putting me into a 'do-loop' and get on with identifying the fault and fixing it. I have reset by box again, but I don't expect that to fix anything, it hasn't before. If there are timeouts then there must be a network fault.

While we're on the subject, my SamKnows reports show that up until 16th Sept I was getting poor peak time broadband, then it cleared for about 17 or 18 weeks and reappeared on the 25th/26th Jan following the outage I mentioned above. I can provide the graphs to prove this if you don't believe me. So now I'm back to having poor broadband as well as poor TV. I good way to use this information would be to investigate what changed on the network when the outage was 'fixed', wouldn't it?

I'm paying over £130 per month for this! I think I deserve a much better service.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi stratus, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

The up time on your box showed as 28 days meaning either it hasn't been rebooted correctly or it wasn't turned off long enough for it to register. If there was a network fault in your area then this would explain the timeouts. 

Everything else on the box looked good at the time of checking other than the timeouts which is why I asked you to reboot the box so we could monitor where the timeouts were coming from. 

Timeouts would cause the issues you are reporting so we need to go through the diagnostics step by step, whether or not you've already done them previously and you will be surprised at the amount of faults that are resolved by rebooting the box. 

Checking the account today, the up time is now showing as 3 days yet the timeouts are high yet again pointing to a deeper issue that just the area fault you spoke about. Your power levels also need adjusting. We will need to arrange for an engineer to come out and take a look. 

I have sent you a private message to arrange a suitable appointment. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos