Menu
DavidY
Tuning in
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports New Desktop Player

Trying to watch Sky Sports on a registered device, a MacBook Air.  I've done this successfully many times before, but now when I try to watch Sky Sports I get the message "You need the New Desktop Player to watch video content. Install the New Desktop Player".   I follow the link and arrive at this page:  www.skysports.com/videoplayer/instructions.       I download the "Sports-Installer" and run it, it appears in the Dock but nothing else happens.   Help please, I have been around this loop many times this evening and am frustrated that I can't watch the Sky Sports channels I am paying for.

Thanks, David

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports New Desktop Player

Hi David

I'm very sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing with your service lately, how have things been since your post?

Have you installed the file that downloaded in the system tray? That should help in getting this to workMan Happy

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DavidY
Tuning in
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion Craig.  I would love to install the file that downloaded in the system tray, but after about 20 attempts - each time, I tried to run that file to initiate the installation process;  each time, nothing happened - I concluded that this isn't going to work.  

Is it just me that thinks this, or is it possible that neither Sky nor Virgin care very much about whether this process works properly, and are content to blame each other and nt intervene with any support which is actually helpful and effective?

Vader25
Joining in
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Having spent a lot of time on the phone with Virginmedia trying to correct this once again I cannot watch Sky Sports on My Mac Book Air. Everytime you get it to work either Sky or Virginmedia change something and you'll back to square one. Totally fed up with both as no one seems to want to push it to resolve the issues.

0 Kudos
Vader25
Joining in
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Having spent many hours on the phone with Virgin Media fed up with them and Sky. It appears just when you get it working Sky change the format and then Virgin won't push to get a resolution. Apparently a lot of people have had this one of many problems and no one seems to want to push to get it resolved. Probably get this one sorted and Sky will change something else. :-(

Sorry posted twice getting my head round this. The furthest I have got with Sky Sports on my Mac is Sky Sports comes up be it 1,2,or 3, etc I get the sound but no picture.

0 Kudos
Cornicedrop
Tuning in
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Tried to access Sky Sports on my laptop using TV anywhere, and, like everyone else advised to download Sky player to my Macbook Pro - OSX 10.11.6

Player would not download using Safari 10.1 or Chrome 58.0.3029.110

On checking the forum, deleted and re-installed Silverlight - no joy

Phoned Tech support - advised to download player via Firefox, which I installed and succesfully managed to download player.

However Sky Sports playing audio only, with black screen.

Uninstalled and re-installed player as advisd by Tech support - no change

Phoned tech support, and was advised it was a known issue due to Sky using Silverlight.

Workround in the meantime to watch Sky Sports on another device - hardly a succesful conclusion!

TV Anwhere and BT Sport work fine.

Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2009

2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo

8GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 Graphics

Macbook Pro 15

0 Kudos
alcoalex
Tuning in
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I cant seems to get the installer, if I go here http://www.skysports.com/videoplayer/instructions and click on the download link all I get is a zip file, if I unpack that there is still no installer file.

Is there somewhere else I can get the installer for windows operating system?

Acegooner66
Joining in
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem. I have tried downloading via Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. Only ever get a zip file. I have turned off popup blocker. I am missing my cricket!!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

The Desktop player is currently only for OS X / macOS.

Windows computers shouldn't be prompted to download it, and should be using Silverlight with Internet Explorer (or older versions of Firefox)

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Knavesmire
Tuning in
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Same here.  I don't have a Mac yet I've got the same message.

The download link just downloads and inert zip file that does nothing.

I am missing the cricket too!

The reply I received from this chap "Kevin Lau -  Service Desk Analyst" was utterly risible - please read some FAQs and bother someone - providing with a link to other FAQs.

I'm new here - how do we get someone at Virgin to actually do something other than direct us to FAQ pages?

0 Kudos