Menu
VMViewer
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Local TV on Virgin TV

Please could we have Local TV on channel 106 after the main PSB channels replacing the unnecessary BBC Three slot instead of all the way down on channel 159.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local TV on Virgin TV

The channel number used by Local TV has been agreed by the regulator (OFCOM).

These are channel 7 or 8 on Freeview.

Channel 117 on Sky (excluding Wales where its on 134)

Virgin channel 159

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
VMViewer
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

The channel number used by Local TV has been agreed by the regulator (OFCOM).

These are channel 7 or 8 on Freeview.

Channel 117 on Sky (excluding Wales where its on 134)

Virgin channel 159

I'm fully aware of that, but it doesn't mean that it can't change when a lower slot becomes available, as has more recently happened on Freeview where it was previously on channel 23. Hence with the closure of BBC Three as a broadcast TV channel this prominent slot could now be re-used in this better way.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Channel 106 is currently carrying the metadata that allows people with recordings of BBC3 to continue watching them, & also as a shortcut to the iPlayer. This is likely to continue until October.

What I would expect if anything happens at all is (as other platforms like Freesat have done), BBC1 HD will move from 108 to 106, then there is the possibility of another channel shunt to get all the BBC HD channels at the top of the EPG.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
VMViewer
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Channel 106 is currently carrying the metadata that allows people with recordings of BBC3 to continue watching them, & also as a shortcut to the iPlayer. This is likely to continue until October.

What I would expect if anything happens at all is (as other platforms like Freesat have done), BBC1 HD will move from 108 to 106, then there is the possibility of another channel shunt to get all the BBC HD channels at the top of the EPG.

Having a reshuffle of the BBC channels is one option, but I think giving Local TV a much more prominent slot is a better option.

BBC Three was previously on Freeview channel 7 and rather than re-using this for another BBC channel it was decided to allocate this to Local TV instead and I think the same should happen on Virgin TV.

0 Kudos