Menu
ovo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Invalid Smartcard error code 3014

I'm in the BR1 postcode. I use my V+ box infrequently so switch it off as the regular updates are so noisy.

On powering-up for the last two days I get the 'smartcard is invalid' message and an error code 3014.

This site says that there are no issues with the TV service, the telephone helpline today says that there is a problem in BR3. I don't believe that my problem is the same as the general one which the engineers are (presumably) fixing, as my TIVO is working. The telephone helpline does not allow you to progress past the recorded message.How can I get my smartcard issue resolved Any advice would be welcome.Thanks.

0 Kudos
dozer167
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Re: Invalid Smartcard error code 3014

Regular updating of the V+ box is essential for it to run smoothly. If you switch the power off to the V+ box, and leave it off for some time, (days) then problem's some times occur with the Smartcard not registering correctly.

I've read within this forum where a number of users have had to request the signal be sent to the V+ box (smartcard) to correct the issue of "Smartcard is Invalid".

I find to prevent this issue occurring, I simply place the V+ box in to standby, when retiring for the day, does the trick, as it enables the V+ box to update during the night, where any noise of the V+ box updating wouldn't be noticeable.

Regards dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
0 Kudos
ovo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion.Sadly, the box is just a few feet from my pillow and it is noisy enough to wake me.
0 Kudos
dozer167
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 47
Flag for a moderator

ovo,

You will have to contact VM customer services by calling either 150 FREE from a Virgin landline or 0845 4541111 from any other phone, payphone or mobile for them to send the signal down to your box.

I can't stress enough how important it is to let your V+ box update its self. If the noise is an issue for you during the night hours, then please leave the box on standby during the day, to allow it to update, or you will find that this issue will be a common event, if you leave the box with out power for some days. It is not Virgin media's fault if this error occurs due to you not allowing the V+ box (Smartcard) to update.        

Regards  dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
0 Kudos
Andrea_W
Up to speed
Message 5 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Apologies for the error you have on screen, I have sent a signal to the box, this should resolve the issue. 

Thanks

Andrea_W

Andrea_W
Help & Support Forum Team

ovo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 47
Flag for a moderator

Andrea, Many thanks for your help, all is well now.
dozer - I know that you were trying to assist, but it does no good to tell me that it's my fault when the V+ box that I have is so noisy that it's impossible to sleep in the same room.
0 Kudos
dozer167
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 47
Flag for a moderator

ovo wrote:
Andrea, Many thanks for your help, all is well now.
dozer - I know that you were trying to assist, but it does no good to tell me that it's my fault when the V+ box that I have is so noisy that it's impossible to sleep in the same room.

ovo,

I'm pleased that Andrea has resolved this issue for you for now.

I can appreciate how annoying it must of been for you, through the V+ box being so noisy, but again I have to stress that the V+ box has to be allowed to update, or issues will arise.

A car wont work with out essential fuel, nor a computer correctly with out regular updates, so the same rule applies to allowing your V+ box to update.

I use my V+ box infrequently so switch it off as the regular updates are so noisy.

If your V+ box becomes very noisy again, maybe a call to VM customer services would help, and perhaps have your box replaced.

Your recent issues WILL reoccur if your box is not allowed to update.  Regards  dozer167

0 Kudos
Uhura
Joining in
Message 8 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I've got the same error and have now been on hold for 30 minutes waiting for Virgin to deign to answer the phone. I refuse to believe that's my fault. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 47
Flag for a moderator

You could try using the auto update feature in TV Self-care.

Follow the instructions HERE.

If this doesn't work you either need to ring Virgin or one of the Forum Team will deal with this. Make sure your box is left in standby.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
EvoUK
Superfast
Message 10 of 47
Flag for a moderator

I tried to do that with my box but because the card was invalid it wouldn't let me access it. I'm not sure any of those functions work when your smartcard is invalid. Only way to sort the matter out as said is to either post here or ring Virgin.
0 Kudos