Menu
riparker
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Coax cable

Hi Virgins

My builders have kindly thrown out the Virgin coax cable that runs about 7 metres from the connection box at the front of the house to the Tivo box in the living room.  Being the good citizen that I am I called Virgin to pay for an engineer to come out and have the cable replaced.  The earliest Virgin can send an engineer is the 4 November.  My builders are about to disappear this week, and as the cable runs through a wall and under the skirting board ideally I would like to try and get this done before they disappear off the face of the earth.

After doing some online Googling it seems you cant just go off and buy your own coax cable.  Virgin say that it's a high spec coax that must be installed, otherwise you may not get good TV service, they will not support the service if it goes belly up, and an engineer would have to come out at a charge and replace the cable, presumably with a long delay to wait for that to happen.  Plus I also read that lower spec cables can impact other neighbours who use Virgin, and as a good neighbour/citizen that I am, I dont want to potentially impact them.  Not sure how true this last part is, but if it's on the internet it must be, right Smiley Wink

So, anyone got any good suggestions, apart from waiting over a month?

Cheers

Rich

0 Kudos
riparker
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coax cable

Is it possible to have the cable sent out to me?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin owns all the cabling on their side of the box, which must be "watertight" against ingress from Freeview & DAB frequencies which are re-used on their cable network. The cable must be fitted to the connectors correctly, & ideally signal levels re-balanced so that your equipment works to its optimum. VM can provide factory manufactured cables with push-on connectors, but these are a fixed length (3 metres) so would be no good to you.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
riparker
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd. Seems that leaves me with waiting for a month for a Virgin engineer to show up, right?
0 Kudos