Menu
dolaru
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

CI+ module / Smart card for LG Smart TV

Hello!

I'm a Virgin Media customer and currently have a TiVo (the old one), connected to an LG Smart TV.

I would like to bypass the TiVo and use the integrated tuner directly for viewing TV. The TV was able to tune in to all the channels, but i need a smart card to be able to view them.

How can i get a smart card?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: CI+ module / Smart card for LG Smart TV

You can't. Virgin Media TV services are only provided via a set top box, which is also provided by Virgin Media.

The CI slot and cable tuner are there for use in other EU countries where applicable (but even then, not all of them allow it either).

In the UK, the CI slot has only ever been for pay DTT i.e. aerial based TV, but I don't believe that anyone offers this anymore.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can't. Virgin Media TV services are only provided via a set top box, which is also provided by Virgin Media.

The CI slot and cable tuner are there for use in other EU countries where applicable (but even then, not all of them allow it either).

In the UK, the CI slot has only ever been for pay DTT i.e. aerial based TV, but I don't believe that anyone offers this anymore.

dolaru
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting Virgin Media to still have support for legacy set-top boxes that were using smart cards. I've seen the mentioned in older topics in the community.

I really dislike the TiVo, especially because of all the features my smart TV has and i cannot use because of it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you please detail which smart TV function you can't use because you have TiVo?

There is no interaction between these two services as your smart TV gets its smart function from a broadband connection.

0 Kudos
dolaru
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have an LG UF770 that runs webOS. I didn't mean that the TiVo is preventing me from using non-TV features on the UF770. What i meant to say is that because the UF770 is not managing the channels directly, i can't use the integrated Live TV app.

The TiVo is incredibly slow. My overall TV viewing experience would be much better if i wouldn't have to wait ages for the thing to turn on. The lag in response for any input is frustrating. Not to mention that in order to control it i either have to use the TiVo remote instead of the UF770 remote (or bring up the virtual remote on the UF770 which means i have to do an extra action every time i want to send input to the TiVo).

Long story short, i don't want to manage two devices when i could manage only one, the better performing one, and benefit from all the smart features it has to offer. It's supposed to be a seamless experience.

I hope you understand the general idea without having to go into detail about what features i'm missing on.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is, and probably never will be, an integrated solution.

If you want to use the LG functions you will have to use the LG control. If you want to use VM functions you will have to use the Tivo control and put up with the slow response.

You would have just as much chance of getting LG to build a Tivo into your TV.
0 Kudos
dolaru
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As a matter of fact, it does do everything the TiVo can do when it comes to live TV (and more!)

I have a problem and a potential solution for it. That's why i came here.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dolaru wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I was expecting Virgin Media to still have support for legacy set-top boxes that were using smart cards. I've seen the mentioned in older topics in the community.

I really dislike the TiVo, especially because of all the features my smart TV has and i cannot use because of it.

Even with the older boxes that use Smartcards it never been possible to use these in another device. The cards are paired for use with the Virgin box only.

0 Kudos