Menu
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 72
Flag for a moderator

VM's High Tec Box? DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH........

What an utter joke, this whole process was, of getting a V6 installed, was. 

What was it all for ? I may have just as well, stuck with my TiVo. 

So tonight, I put on BBC iPlayer to watch the Xmas edition of Dr Who. Guess what...... yep, that's right, JUST FIVE MINUTES INTO THE PROGRAM, IT STARTS TO BUFFER AND CONTINUES TO BUFFER FOR OVER 30 SECONDS..... UTTERLY RIDICULOUS AND PATHETIC. Smiley Mad Smiley Indifferent

So guess what I did next? Turned the V6 off and fired up my iPad Air 2 and opened the iPlayer app and continued the program on there but instead of watching in on my iPad, I cast it to my Apple TV, where it played with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. 

Don't anyone come on here and say it's my connection -  IT IS NOT. ALL THREE DEVICES ARE USING THE SAME WIFI CONNECTION (the 5Ghz band) to my Hub 3. Pure and simple - the V6 CANNOT stream ANYTHING successfully. Couldn't do it on the TiVo and STILL we can't do it on the V6. 

PATHETIC. 

Smiley IndifferentSmiley Mad

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM's High Tec Box? DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH........

Hmmmm, that's definitely not good.

Tried any other shows?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 72
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

Hmmmm, that's definitely not good.

Tried any other shows?

No - that was my first ever attempt at streaming anything.  Now that this has happened - I'm highly unlikely to use the V6 again for ANY kind of streaming. Smiley Sad 

Whats the point in me playing another show, and sitting there, thinking throughout the whole thing, "....is it gonna start buffering? 

Streaming : V6 OUT. Apple TV / Xbox One, IN (both work flawlessly). 

An utter ridiculous shame..........

Smiley Indifferent

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 72
Flag for a moderator

What seems odd is that with getting on for 4000 posts in this TV V6 forum no one else seems to have reported this issue with the new V6 box.  So surely it is worth investigating if this was a 'one off' or if there is an underlying problem  that needs to be addressed.

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Selecting ANY program now on iPlayer just greets me with a white spinning circle, with the program not even beginning. 1 minute in, the program has started but is now buffering (Open All Hours). 

Strangely, as soon as this happens on iPlayer, when I exit and then go to Catch Up and On Demand (via the V6 menu), I get the message that the service is unavailable???Smiley Indifferent However, when I then go back to the TV guide and then back to Catch Up and On Demand, the services then show as working again?!

I wonder if I would have better and constant service disconnecting from my 5Ghz band and connect the V6 to the 2.4Ghz wifi band instead ( when the V6 was initially installed, it wouldn't connect to 5Ghz - it took between 5 to 10 attempts later on in the day before it finally connected.......

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Catch Up is also randomly working/not working. 

In the last 10 minutes of trying, some attempts would result in the TiVo purple spinning circle and end up with the "Service Not Available" message but other times (when returning back to the guide a couple of times), Catch Up would then work?? 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Got to be worth a try - the V6 should select the best band on initial setup.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 8 of 72
Flag for a moderator

If the Hub 3 is anything like the two that went before it, then it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't where the problem lay. We had terrible wi-fi problems when we moved into this house, and after numerous dealings with VM and still no solution, I decided to try the hub in modem only mode and attached my own router to it -- problem solved instantly.

I eventually upgraded to a TP LInk Archer C7 router and have not looked back since.

We are currently waiting almost a week for an engineer to swap out our TiVo that died yesterday, and I was wondering if it might be time to go for a new V6, but I am not sure if there would be much point?
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 72
Flag for a moderator

fatcontroller wrote:
If the Hub 3 is anything like the two that went before it, then it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't where the problem lay. We had terrible wi-fi problems when we moved into this house, and after numerous dealings with VM and still no solution, I decided to try the hub in modem only mode and attached my own router to it -- problem solved instantly.

I eventually upgraded to a TP LInk Archer C7 router and have not looked back since.

We are currently waiting almost a week for an engineer to swap out our TiVo that died yesterday, and I was wondering if it might be time to go for a new V6, but I am not sure if there would be much point?

...I'm sorry but as I said in my original post - the connection to the Hub 3 is not the issue here. My iPad Air 2, Xbox One and Apple TV, ALL connect to the 5Ghz wifi band perfectly (all allow streaming, 100% perfectly) and work flawlessly. Its only the V6 which is having issues streaming any content. If it was the Hub's wifi, it would affect ALL devices in the house - which it does not.

Dereklad
Superfast
Message 10 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Right im no expert so a.theres something wrong with the wifi on your v6 box or b.the location of your v6 box is in a wifi deadspot..either way virgin have to sort it as your paying for all the whisles and bells of the v6..

Cable customer from its inception in 80's in Birmingham .have never missed a bill payment.my package is big kahuna xl tv..200mb internet..and free sky movies for 6 months..+tivo box.
Ps4 & Amazon firestick.
+size 9 feet..iphone 7 plus..
0 Kudos