Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

V6 - First Impressions

Had it installed this afternoon. Two guys came, one who did virtually all the work and talking while, I suspect, the other was watching and learning. I was very impressed by the guy who did the installation and I would be delighted if someone on the Forum could pass that on. Talked to me throughout, showed how fast it was performing and also moved my modem which I hope will improve the WiFi in a large, old, house.

My initial impressions are very positive. Extremely fast compared to the Samsung Tivo it replaced. Incidentally the engineer agreed that it was better to replace the Samsung and leave the other box, a Cisco, which he also preferred. Going through the Guide and setting up recordings was a breeze. Changed all the settings I needed to without any delays, compared to the waiting times I previously endured. Tried the iPlayer and watched Pop Quiz which was a pain to do a couple of days ago on the Samsung. What an improvement.

When my partner came in to the room once the engineers had left, she immediately commented on the picture quality. I have a Full HD TV rather than a 4K and it is defaulting to 1080p. Does it upscale the 1080i which is transmitted?

Connection is via Ethernet and I will test a WiFi connection at some point. Overall very happy at this point.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 - First Impressions

I'm delighted your first impressions are good.

I, too, have a full HD TV and am very pleased with the broadcast upscaling to 1080P.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Glad you like it @frank_gm

We'll pass on the feedback about the engineers too.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Although I mentioned it in another thread I will add it here for completeness.

I have disconnected my ethernet connection and I am relying on my WiFi connection for the moment and all is good.  EPG upgrades are being downloaded successfully and I have successfully watched programmes on iPlayer and Netflix. Both responded much faster than on the standard Tivo and no buffering so far.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

BTW the new at time Samsung 1TB (not older 500GB or Cisco 500GB and 1TB which at that time could be refurbs) are the better boxes out all the Tivo's, should be quieter and faster if not faulty.

I insisted on them for my mothers previous install and when a 1TB Cisco and 500GB Samsung turned up I made them swapped them a few days later to what I had ordered.

0 Kudos
gordy66
Up to speed
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Why have you disconnected the wired connection.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

jhuk wrote:

BTW the new at time Samsung 1TB (not older 500GB or Cisco 500GB and 1TB which at that time could be refurbs) are the better boxes out all the Tivo's, should be quieter and faster if not faulty.

I insisted on them for my mothers previous install and when a 1TB Cisco and 500GB Samsung turned up I made them swapped them a few days later to what I had ordered.

Have to disagree. I have had four Tivo boxes, all 1TB, three Ciscos and one Samsung and the latter was the worst performer of them all.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

gordy66 wrote:
Why have you disconnected the wired connection.

Mainly to see how it performed, I thought that I might as well test it. In addition, since the engineer relocated the hub, WiFi in the house is noticeably better and I decided to test it on the V6.

¡No Pasarán!
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I should have added that my ethernet connection currently runs through two switches between the hub and the V6 and I plan to change this in the near future and re-route the cabling so that it only goes through one switch. Knowing that the WiFi connection works means that I can take my time while changing the cabling.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
andycambs
Superfast
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

My install was today - call to say he could come earlier.
It was a contractor rather than VM employee. His work involved relocating the existing TiVo box to the new location, carrying the old V+ box to the van and plugging in the V6 and letting it download and boot up.
No checks on signal, no pairing of boxes, setting remote to television control, and no advice on copying settings from one box to another. Fortunately I had a WiFi extender originally for the TiVo box to plug into, as I get the impression he wouldn't have set up the wifi on the V6 either.
I was expecting more.
0 Kudos