Menu
N82417
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New V6 and keep old TiVo box

I've just booked my V6 installation for 4 January.  It was the first V6 request that the Virgin Media agent had booked.  She said the engineer would take away the old box so we would need to watch any content that was on it.  I would like to keep the box at least for a couple of months to watch down the old content.  So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to keep the old Tivo Box alongside the new V6. I have two Ethernet connections, one for each box to connect them to my hub
  2. How much will the additional old TiVo box cost?
  3. Do I need to call Virgin and arrange this in advance or can I agree it with the engineer on the day?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 and keep old TiVo box

N82417 wrote:

I've just booked my V6 installation for 4 January.  It was the first V6 request that the Virgin Media agent had booked.  She said the engineer would take away the old box so we would need to watch any content that was on it.  I would like to keep the box at least for a couple of months to watch down the old content.  So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to keep the old Tivo Box alongside the new V6. I have two Ethernet connections, one for each box to connect them to my hub. Yes
  2. How much will the additional old TiVo box cost?  £5 per Month
  3. Do I need to call Virgin and arrange this in advance or can I agree it with the engineer on the day? You'd need to arrange it beforehand

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did this, however somehow it wasn't properly updated so when the engineer arrived he assumed he was just taking away the old box, so the poor engineer ended up spending ages queued up for customer service sorting this out.
Make sure that you don't end up in another contract so that you can return the box after a couple of months.

Being able to watch all your old machines content via the new v6 is nice tho...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi N82417, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

In order to keep your old TiVo® box you would need to add an additional outlet. This basically turns your account in to a Multi room account. To do this it costs an extra £7.50. 

This would give you a basic V HD box. To turn this in to a TiVo® it would be a further £5.00 per month. (Means a total increase of £12.50 per month)

If this is something you would like to do, call us asap so we can adjust the work order for you. 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
PhilT81
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

£12.50 seems an absolute rip-off when all they want to do is watch old content they've already recorded.
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This thread is 7 months old. If you have recordings you want to watch it's usually best to watch them first before requesting a box upgrade.

I believe also the pricing for multi-room has been revised so it should just be the £7.50 multi-room charge. Unless the V6 monthly fee doesn't cover TiVo boxes (it should in my opinion as they operate on the same platform). V HD boxes are no longer supplied AFAIK.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 100
Phone: Talk Unlimited
PhilT81
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My problem is that my box is constantly full and that's 1TB and everything in SD. I always have to make tough choices about what to delete! So, I'm never going to clear it before ordering a new box. My only chance is a clean start. Hopefully the fact I have more flexibility over how and when I can watch shows means I'm more able to keep up.
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It sound like putting the box on as a multi-room is the best option for you.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 100
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos