Menu
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does new tivo remote turn tv on and off?

Simple question i hope. One of the annoying things about the old style tivo is that it could turn my tv off but not on. Is the new remote any different in that respect?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does new tivo remote turn tv on and off?

Yes. The TV remote only comes out when watching other than Virgin, i.e. DVD or Amazon. Have you tried all the codes for your TV make on the TiVo remote?
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know the codes in the V6 remote are the same as in the current TiVo one.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It works on/off and volume on my TV, although the TiVo remote paired instantly on the first try, whereas I had to manually go through almost the entire list of Samsung codes for the V6 before one worked. I'd nearly given up. So if it doesn't work first time, persevere in case another code works.
0 Kudos
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So you can confirm that you can turn on the tv with just the new tivo remote? No need to use the tv remote at all?
0 Kudos
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes. The TV remote only comes out when watching other than Virgin, i.e. DVD or Amazon. Have you tried all the codes for your TV make on the TiVo remote?
0 Kudos
asha_bristol
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Forgive me for asking a daft question. I've only just this minute realised that the tivo remote switches on my tv as well as switches it off. For about 6months i've been using the tv remote to turn the tv. Well i've learnt something new today. Thanks
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Constable21 wrote:
It works on/off and volume on my TV, although the TiVo remote paired instantly on the first try, whereas I had to manually go through almost the entire list of Samsung codes for the V6 before one worked. I'd nearly given up. So if it doesn't work first time, persevere in case another code works.

...that's exactly what i had to do with my Samsung TV as well - the remote wouldn't pair when going through the 'up/down' automatic process! I had to manually input each and every code before the remote finally turned the tv off!!!! Smiley Surprised

beadyv6
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hold the TiVo 'Power' button down for up to 5 seconds, this should turn the TV off