Menu
Mach13-13
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does New V6 box deliver TV Via Broadband?

The reason I ask is because in my area (20) there has  been a sustained drop in broadband delivery (1-3mbs) for the past few days.  There are lots if comments in the broadband section of the community for internet speeds dropping off a cliff for extended periods just lately....  I've looked at the V6 box but am confused by references to internet delivery...

Is it really dependent upon broadband to deliver its TV service?

A customer service rep told me that VM was a little over extended in my area and cant cope with broadband demand which is why we are having Broaddband issues

The only saving grace at the moment is that the TV still works...   

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does New V6 box deliver TV Via Broadband?

All broadcast TV channels are sent via the VM coax cable, not your Internet connection.

The V6 uses your Internet connection to get software updates and update the EPG along with streaming on demand content e.g. BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc.  It shouldn't need much bandwidth to get updates and will probably fetch them at off peak times, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Getting on demand content at peak times might be difficult.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"other on demand including sky movies comes through the coax connection and doesn't use the internet."

that is incorrect. on demand from sky movies still uses the internet on the v6
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All broadcast TV channels are sent via the VM coax cable, not your Internet connection.

The V6 uses your Internet connection to get software updates and update the EPG along with streaming on demand content e.g. BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc.  It shouldn't need much bandwidth to get updates and will probably fetch them at off peak times, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Getting on demand content at peak times might be difficult.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Mach13-13
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott - Comprehensively answered... Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

On quick clarification is that app based on demand comes via the internet, however most of the other on demand including sky movies comes through the coax connection and doesn't use the internet.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"other on demand including sky movies comes through the coax connection and doesn't use the internet."

that is incorrect. on demand from sky movies still uses the internet on the v6
0 Kudos