Menu
fixerman
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Bizarre Youtube behaviour.

I had two V6 boxes installed on Monday last. I intend to give my opinion on the boxes in general as soon as I have had some experience of their performance.

There is one major issue that I am experiencing straight off and it is the attached image shows what  a Youtube screen looks like when I am playing any content. This black box is superimposed on the screen and appears to show a live readout of statistics of the current screen. I have not found a way to make it go away. As a result Youtube is unwatchable. It's only visible on the Youtube app. Whats more remarkable is that it only appears on one of the boxes. The second box works fine.

Any ideas?

IMG_20170226_172533.jpg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fixerman
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Bizarre Youtube behaviour.

fixerman wrote:

fixerman wrote:

I had two V6 boxes installed on Monday last. I intend to give my opinion on the boxes in general as soon as I have had some experience of their performance.

There is one major issue that I am experiencing straight off and it is the attached image shows what  a Youtube screen looks like when I am playing any content. This black box is superimposed on the screen and appears to show a live readout of statistics of the current screen. I have not found a way to make it go away. As a result Youtube is unwatchable. It's only visible on the Youtube app. Whats more remarkable is that it only appears on one of the boxes. The second box works fine.

Any ideas?

IMG_20170226_172533.jpg

Anybody Please!  Any moderator advice?

I need to sort this problem or my only option will be to cancel the whole upgrade on the grounds that I cannot use Youtube.

Issue resolved! I contacted Virginmedia on the 150 number. After the usual security checks I was answered within 10 seconds by a very friendly, UK based, young lady. I explained my problem and she was able to look on this forum to view the screen picture that I had posted. She couldn't identify the problem immediately but after a few minutes consulting with the second level colleagues she came back to me with the solution. 

I have to say that I am impressed by the speed and courtesy of the Tech Support folks.

The solution is...

• Press the down arrow on the remote while the youtube video is playing.
  • Select "More Options" from the bottom left of the screen.
  • Select the far right icon that looks like a little insect labeled "Stats for Nerds"
  • Superimposed information box no longer displayed.
Duncan1977
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Those stats for nerds are quite interesting for me - they show me that the TiVo has a better grip of YouTube than my TOTL Samsung TV (the 'DASH' line needs to read '313/xxx' to play back 4K content, and the TiVo does it a whole lot better than the TV)

Kudos to Virgin for that one - makes the upgrade cost negligible... even without the other benefits Smiley Happy

All Replies
fixerman
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

fixerman wrote:

Any ideas?

IMG_20170226_172533.jpg

I need to sort this problem or my only option will be to cancel the whole upgrade on the grounds that I cannot use Youtube.

0 Kudos
fixerman
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

fixerman wrote:

fixerman wrote:

Any ideas?

IMG_20170226_172533.jpg

Issue resolved! I contacted Virginmedia on the 150 number. After the usual security checks I was answered within 10 seconds by a very friendly, UK based, young lady. I explained my problem and she was able to look on this forum to view the screen picture that I had posted. She couldn't identify the problem immediately but after a few minutes consulting with the second level colleagues she came back to me with the solution. 

I have to say that I am impressed by the speed and courtesy of the Tech Support folks.

The solution is...

• Press the down arrow on the remote while the youtube video is playing.
  • Select "More Options" from the bottom left of the screen.
  • Select the far right icon that looks like a little insect labeled "Stats for Nerds"
  • Superimposed information box no longer displayed.
Duncan1977
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Those stats for nerds are quite interesting for me - they show me that the TiVo has a better grip of YouTube than my TOTL Samsung TV (the 'DASH' line needs to read '313/xxx' to play back 4K content, and the TiVo does it a whole lot better than the TV)

Kudos to Virgin for that one - makes the upgrade cost negligible... even without the other benefits Smiley Happy