Menu
DipakP
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone Line Hacked

After years without any issues, i received my March 2016 bill at £730!

As anyone can understand i was fuming to see this bill. There were constant phone calls to a mobile number showing up as PNS on my bill. No one in the house knows who this number relates to, or has called this number.

I was told this can be investigated, so an engineer came out and within 15 minutes advised me that there was no issue with "cross line" and that the he believed that someone within the house made those phone calls.

I still dispute this and I am not sure what to do now. How do i prove that i have not made these phone calls??

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Line Hacked

Hi there DipakP, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm really sorry to hear that you've received such a hefty bill, I know how shocked I would be if that landed at my doorstep too. 

The first step we would make in these cases would be to send a technician out to test for evidence of a crossed line, or evidence of some one connecting things to the line in order to make fraudulent calls. 

As this has already been done and eliminated, then it would be pointing towards the calls actually being made. 

There are other avenues to investigate. 

Do you have an alarm attached to your phone line? If so, is this the number that the alarm will use to contact the control centre?

Have you done an internet search on the number being called?

What devices do you have connected to your phone line? If you have anything other than one phone on the line, I'd suggest disconnecting these and seeing if the calls continue.

Were these calls all made over a short period of time, or are they still happening?

It may be best to speak with our Customer Service team again after completing all the checks I've mentioned to see what options you have. 

Apologies once again. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
DipakP
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw

I don't have an alarm attached to the phone line. CS have told me the number relates to a bedside telephone which i've been told is charged at a high rate, but i do not know anyone in hospital.

All of the phone calls were made during the March billing period, nothing either side as my bills are virtually the same each and every month.

I have been left frustrated by speaking to CS, as all i have been told is that the checks have been done, and there are no issues. This bill is effectively half of my monthly salary and as anyone can imagine, if i cave in and pay this bill, it will not leave me in a good financial position. I know my family or i have not made these phone calls, and yet i am being told that i did and i have to pay the bill.

After still being unhappy with this, I have been told that a deadlock letter will be sent out to me so that i can take it to a dispute resolution company.

i just do not know what to do.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there DipakP, 

I'm really sorry to hear that this is still on going with you, here is a link to our Consumer Complaint Code of Practice

The information on this page will help you understand where you can go with this as you're not satisfied with the information you've been given. 

Apologies once again.

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos