Menu
Liddyg
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Number porting nightmare

Have just joined this forum and am in some way relieved to see that others have had the same problem as me regarding porting phone numbers from sky to virgin.....I am also bitterly regretting leaving Sky as since virgin came and installed on 26th October I have been unable to receive any incoming calls. I must have made in the region of 30 phone calls to their "customer services " and lost many hours explaining the same issue to many different people, none of which took any ownership of the problem. Unfortunately nothing has changed at my side - the phone doesn't ring and when you dial my number you hear "please check the number and try again". They gave me another temporary number but even when you ring that it doesn't ring at my house....they keep saying something on the phone about having to plug the phone into the old sky socket until th number is ported then plug it into the new virgin socket.....the engineer used the existing socket which is ancient and didn't put any other sockets in....I am on the verge of cancelling the whole thing like many others on here and I even complained to virgin but when I rang to check the progress of my complaint they told me it had been closed as it was resolved? News to me.....the strange thing is that we can make outgoing calls and  when we dial 174 to check the phone number, it says our old lovely number....

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Number porting nightmare

Liddyg wrote:

Have just joined this forum and am in some way relieved to see that others have had the same problem as me regarding porting phone numbers from sky to virgin.....I am also bitterly regretting leaving Sky as since virgin came and installed on 26th October I have been unable to receive any incoming calls. I must have made in the region of 30 phone calls to their "customer services " and lost many hours explaining the same issue to many different people, none of which took any ownership of the problem. Unfortunately nothing has changed at my side - the phone doesn't ring and when you dial my number you hear "please check the number and try again". They gave me another temporary number but even when you ring that it doesn't ring at my house....they keep saying something on the phone about having to plug the phone into the old sky socket until th number is ported then plug it into the new virgin socket.....the engineer used the existing socket which is ancient and didn't put any other sockets in....I am on the verge of cancelling the whole thing like many others on here and I even complained to virgin but when I rang to check the progress of my complaint they told me it had been closed as it was resolved? News to me.....the strange thing is that we can make outgoing calls and  when we dial 174 to check the phone number, it says our old lovely number....

Both of the symptoms above point to this being a problem with the interconnect between the local BT exchange & Virgins cable headend, not an issue with your phoneline itself. The incoming calls are not being routed correctly.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Liddyg

Welcome to the community and I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing with your telephone line.

I have located your account and the line is showing active but I can see that you mentioned the technician used an existing socket but are there any other sockets in the property?

I would just like to confirm a couple of details with you regarding your telephone number so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see a message waiting for you.

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Martyboy78
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I feel your pain.  I'm in a similar situation. We signed up on 4 October and currently do not have a working phone. No one seems to care. They promise to call back and don't.  As I said on Trustpilot (shame you can't give Virgin no stars) we'd be better off with a couple of yoghurt pots and a piece of string. It's been a truly terrible experience. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Liddyg wrote:

Both of the symptoms above point to this being a problem with the interconnect between the local BT exchange & Virgins cable headend, not an issue with your phoneline itself. The incoming calls are not being routed correctly.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Liddyg
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your information nodrogd - any idea what needs to be done and by whom?  

You seem to know your stuff, it's all Greek to me 😳

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It would explain why you can make outgoing calls, & your line ID is your old number. However people phoning you will be routed to the BT exchange as it is still recognised as a Sky owned number. This then has to be routed to VM's headend so you recieve the call, which is not happening. Something VM's network techs will need to investigate.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Liddyg,

Just to let you know I have responded to your private message Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos