Menu
Aphoneuser
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No dialtone

Hi,

We rarely use the telephone even though we pay for 24/7 calls, but we have tried to use the telephone today and we have no dial tone. It is rather frustrating, we have had the contract since December, and never had the line connected until January, now we have not telephone again. What is happening in the area? We have tried test service once this morning and this afternoon, it gets to 99% then stops, has anyone else encountered this issue?

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No dialtone

Me too with the 99% thing. I have had issues with my phone line for weeks, mostly with non-working caller display. As of yesterday the line is just dead. I have been stuck in an endless stand-off with Virgin repeatedly sending engineers who insist the problem needs to be fixed at multiplexer/exchange level. I find it hard to believe that a "reputable" telecoms company can't offer a basic telephone service - or rectify problems when they occur. Everyone is very nice and full of assurances but nothing happens! Where are you as a matter of interest? I'm in central west London and had no problems when I was with BT - Virgin's broadband is excellent but the phone is awful.

0 Kudos
Aphoneuser
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Braby,

Currently in Guildford area. I wonder whether the engineers from the various firms actually talk to each other. I would not be surprised if the line was disconnected and given to someone else from a different company, until we report it and then it gets allocated back.

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid until you report it by calling Virgin Media (0345 454 1111 from another phone) then there's no way of knowing. Virgin's phone network is actually a bit of a mess since it incorporates all sorts of hardware originally installed by the different cable companies which have since been amalgamated and taken over. That's why it seems to be harder to get faults fixed than with BT who are largely responsible for their own network with much more standardised equipment. I doubt someone from another company has "stolen" your line - though this did happen to a friend of mine; her BT line stopped working and it turned out Sky had mistakenly requested to take over her number so BT had just switched it without so much as a word! Under normal circumstances you should receive written notification of any such request well before it takes place.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aphoneuser

Welcome to the Community, I'm so sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service lately.

I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the line form our end for you, we're not seeing any issues at the moment though. Have you been able to test your handset at all? By trying an alternate handset on your line or your handset on an alternate line? 

If so and you're still experiencing the issue, get in touch and I'll take a look at escalating this for you right away.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos