Menu
Gm2016
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Charged for calls we never dialed. Horrible

We have been customer for virgin since feb 2015. Recently (24/03/2016) we have discovered that we have been billed (£12+) for few phone calls ( mobile and landline numbers) that we have not made.we actually do not use the landline phone to make calls because we have inclusive bundles in our mobile contract.

I called Virgin and asked them how is it possible. After a long process of security checks I been send to technical team and again had to explain why i called, they found no problem there in their system said everything looks working fine and send me back to fault team. (God knows how many team they have) eventually they also failed to explain or resolve the problem of why we are being charged. At least I spoke to three different team that day and I had to leave the convo unfinished because I was running late to go for my work.

We only 2 adult & 1 toddler and a baby lives in this house & childrens had no access to the phone.

I continue next day (25 march and the call charge goes up to 13+ by then) and been through at least 2/3 team and approximately after an hour talking they appoint an engineer to check the line for “ cross line” in about 4 days time. Same time I request a full call barring as the amount of bill was increasing every day. I had been assured that's done, all call (except emergency numbers) had been barred. The engineer came n found no fault ( no cross line) yet he changed something called e-side9 to d-side30 in the box round the corner of the main Street.
I checked the account just after the engineer left a documents with me on 29/03/2016 and surprisingly the call charges been higher although they said on 25/03/2016 that they barred all calls , I was wondering hows that possible.

I called again that day, had to tell the story repeatedly to each individual but none of them was able to answer why is that happening, I was shocked when they said the call barring is in place since 9th December 2015. I clearly remember that I requested on 25th march 2016, moreover the person I spoke to didn't mention anything about it. She just said all call barred.
When I was arguing this questions in the convo at some point they offered £50 back, & some other point said they will book another engineer but the conversation was going nowhere despite all the transfer from this to that departments. Problem remain unresolved.

I Called again on 01/04/2016 the person on the other end empathise and listen everything and gave me a Ref number and said a manager will get in touch in 7/10 days. Nothing happened, no called till 11/04/2016.

Similar things happened in November December 2015 which result me a huge bill of £170 that has been paid in 25th Jan 2016. We were out of the country since 2nd November till last week of January 2016.
On that time only my cousin and my landlord had access to the house as I left key with them look after the house once a while. Now when I mentioned it they put it on them that they probably used the phone. Although Both of them have their perfect alibis of work and business.

Finally I called again today after waiting for the managers to call. it took me half an hour to get to a manager who called himself john. He had been tricky which is unfortunate, he explained the call barring was only for international calls since December, when I mentioned about 25th march he simply denied that there was no request for call barring, I had to remind him the recorded conversation and gave him the details of the person whom I made that request and what time it was & then he found it on the system and came up with another excuse that it couldn't activated due to the first one was in place ( international barring) which I have not been told by anybody yet. He offered £0.74 to refund which he found the charges after the request of total call barring.
At the end of a long explanation from my side he simply said they have done everything n found no problem or fault therefore the charged amount is correct.

I was Totally speechless. He indirectly said I was lying
Feeling Like I have been robbed by Virgin media n now even if I want to cancel I will have to pay again. Forgot to mention this month bill also £18 extra from what it's supposed to be.
Can't believe a huge reputable company like Virgin media is keeping such people as their employees.
I had to request a deadlock letter if there is nothing he/ they can do.
I also request to send me all my conversation with them. I maintained a list of people I spoke to and list of their department respectively.
Can't get answers of few things
If they accuse my landlord or cousin when we were away then how the same thing happening when we are home & nobody else has access to our phone?
If there was no fault in the line then why the engineer change something from e-side to d-side (28-30)?
Why they came up with different different explanation of call barring each time? Even wanted to refund me an amount at the end?

I am thinking to go public as well as to the ombudsman and also officially complaint to ofcom, can anybody advise me on that.
Feeling like trapped as nighter can cancel (will charge again) nor a refund nor even a further credible investigation.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Gm2016
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charged for calls we never dialed. Horrible

Thanks , this explained a lot.
Highly appreciated.

Can I please draw attention to my repeatedly asked questions, "IF THERE WAS NO ISSUE THEN WHY WOULD THE TECHNICIAN CHANGED THE PORT (D side to 28)? "
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi GM2016,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been charged for calls originating from your property that you haven't made.

Looking into this via your account, I can see that this has already been escalated and investigated by management and an engineer, who advised no crossed line was found, and while he did reposition your line connection (to the d-side), the engineer advised there was no issue found on your line that could warrant calls being made other than from your property.

I appreciate that this response is not what you hoped to hear from us, but this is where we are with this issue after investigating your complaint. 

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Gm2016
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for your response

I will appreciate if you can explain me the REASON of repositioning (which he said "changed" & I believe repositioning & changing is 2 different word with different sense of meaning)

My point is if there was no issue then what makes him change it from e side to d side.

Haven't had this one explained yet by anybody.
Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Gm2016, 

Sorry to jump in here. Your phone line will have both an E-side and a D-side. 

E-side is Exchange side (This leads from the Cabinet to the exchange)

D-side is Distribution Side (This leads from the Cabinet to the property)

I can only assume that the technician changed the D-Side in order to eliminate that being a cause of the fault. When a customer states that calls are being charged which are incorrect, it's possible that some other line is arc-ing onto a different port. So by changing the D-Side, they would eliminate this as you would then be in a total different port

I hope that this clears things up a little for you. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Gm2016
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks , this explained a lot.
Highly appreciated.

Can I please draw attention to my repeatedly asked questions, "IF THERE WAS NO ISSUE THEN WHY WOULD THE TECHNICIAN CHANGED THE PORT (D side to 28)? "
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Gm2016, 

Apologies for this, I thought I answered that question, when I advised that the port change may have been done as a preliminary measure to totally rule out the old port being at fault. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Gm2016
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for being pain and asking that question over and over again.

My point is exactly same. The change must have been done to eliminate a fault.
But the TECHNICIAN on the spot said no fault found. I also asked him how then the calls are appearing in my bill which I haven't made. He didn't answer that.
Later I asked same to the manager of billing department Mr john. He said that "a TECHNICIAN can do that" . do you think that a TECHNICIAN should do it without any credible reason? & specially when it is being disputed/ challenged by the user.

Thanks once again.
0 Kudos
Gm2016
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Dear moderator thanks again and would like to ask you , is there any other things that can cause the call charge to be appearing on my bill.

Best regards
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gm2016, 

The technician may not have found any evidence to say that there was a fault, and could have changed the port simply to rule this out. I believe this is a good enough reason if there is no obvious fault. 

Have you noticed any charges since the port was changed? If the charges have stopped since this time, then it would suggest that the old port was at fault some how

The main cause of calls being charged incorrectly is a crossed line - This could be a connection plugged in on your ports at the cabinet - or something causing a short, so that another line is making calls on your line. In which case, changing the port at the cabinet will resolve this issue. 

Another cause could be something you have in the home plugged in on the line - this could be an alarm or some other digital equipment (Some TV boxes plug into the phone line in order to update software etc)

And finally, another reason is that someone is actually making the calls without your knowledge - a family member, or someone else in the property.

Many thanks.

Huw

0 Kudos
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone actually looked at the numbers being dialled...? Are they recognised? Has anyone tried calling them to find out who they are? What are the call durations and times? Whilst call bundles include free calls, as I understand it if you go over the 60 minute call limit then the call costs can increase very quickly? For example a 100minute local call can cost nearly £5.

0 Kudos