Menu
roverill
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

sending texts to sms short codes

Sending a (short) text to any 5-digit sms short code fails with "Message sending failed",using Nokia 100 handset with Virgin pay as you go top-up.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: sending texts to sms short codes

Hi roverill,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear the short codes are not working for you.

Are you able to test the SIM card in another phone? Do you get the same problem?

If you continue to have problems then please contact the team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789.

Please keep me updated.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Trosgol
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am getting very frustrated at being unable to send 5-digit SMS texts. I just keep getting a message "could not send". I used it previously to buy data bundles to 23456 and it worked fine until April. I have had the same problem with 70710 and other short codes.

Despite calling 789 twice and pleasant staff assuring me they had taken off any barring, it still doesn't work. I use a Sony Experia Z1 Compact (D5503) on Pay Monthly.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Trosgol

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having some trouble sending messages to short-code services.

Texting to 23456 is only for purchasing data bundles when roaming in the EU and you can't use it within the UK.

It's concerning that you're having some issues texting to other short-code services though.

Just to check there's no setting preventing this on the handset, have you been able to test sending a message to one of these numbers with your SIM in another device?

Let me know how you get on with this. 

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Trosgol
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark. 

Thanks for that. I tried my sim in my wife's phone and it worked fine with an SMS short code. Now I know that it's a setting on my Sony Experian Z1 Compact. I can't a setting to alter despite going through many menus. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, sorry it's a bit late replying

I can see only one option if you can't find the settings to change, that a reset of the phone, it returns it to a clean state, and delete all your stuff as well.

Before I'd do this I would want to save my date and other stuff, if the phone has a removable SD card remove that, back up your phone book and and other stuff it's hard to replace ( if you have a Google email you can safe it all to Google, if not consider one for this at least)

Thenit will be somewhere is setting, security factory data reset.

i hope that helps

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Trosgol

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad we've narrowed it down to something to do with the handset.

I just wondered if you'd made any further progress with this as yet as it's a few days since you posted?

Some devices have a 'permissions' setting in their Messaging app to disallow the sending of premium SMS messages.

If you head to Settings > Application Manager  and ensure 'All' applications are listed, before selecting your 'Messaging' app, you should find a 'permissions' option. Is this permission listed there for you?

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks 

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help