Menu
deedee2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

follow up on refusal for a mobile phone contract

to recap- virgin mobile refused me a contract mobile on  the basis on information held by Equifax. I contacted Equifax and requested my report which was received and lo and behold shows nothing out of place. In fact I spoke with Equifax after receiving it and they themselves said that they could see no reason as to why I would be refused. I then contacted virginmobile again and believe you me it is very hard to get an answer from anyone, they just passed me from one person to another over the course of two months. I even wrote to  Tom Mockridge and received a reply saying he is busy-someone will deal with my complaint, Thanks Tom's pa!!!  I managed to speak with a guy called Andrew (amongst others) from complaints (a manager I'm guessing) who promised to call me back when he found out details from consumer underwriting (I had already been in contact with them also).  He never did. Instead I had to contact complaints who said he was in yet another meeting.......Finally his colleague told me that my case has now gone to deadlock. Thanks for letting me know huh? And that they will forward me a letter regarding this.  I'm still waiting by the way. Yes I will take this further and I have documented every communication from virgin mobile. On looking at the forum I see that I am not the first and doubt that I will not be the last customer to be treated in this way. As a customer of 17 years I'm truly disgusted and very unhappy about this situation.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: follow up on refusal for a mobile phone contract

I admire your persistence. Quite a few now have simply walked away. I can't say I blame them.  

0 Kudos
deedee2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

follow up on refusal for a mobile phone contract

I was refused in August last year and again in January this year. I had asked to upgrade my two mobile lines. Was refused with virgin saying on the basis of information held by Equifax. I obtained my report to find that there was nothing wrong with it and spoke with Equifax who confirmed this. I contacted virginmobile again and was given the "run around" ie being passed from one person to another, I even contacted Mr Tom Mockridge only to be told he cannot deal with this at the moment, (how professional) and my complaint was passed on yet again. I contacted consumer underwriting, along with the complaints in Swansea. I was finally passed to Andrew (a manager I'm guessing) who had promised to contact me (I'm still waiting) when he looks into my situation. I had to contact his office and was told he was in yet another meeting.....then his colleague informed me that my complaint had now reached deadlock and a letter would be sent to me (I'm still waiting for this also). I'm so disgusted and disappointed in the way virgin mobile have treated me and yes I am taking this further. I have documented every communication etc from virgin and Equifax (Virgin say its Equifax and Equifax say they can see nothing - I have also received a reply from Equifax re my complaint  against them) I see from the forum that I am not the first and will surely not be the last customer to experience this kind of treatment (I have 17 years worth of virgin products ) and that sadly it seems time to leave virgin media and mobile

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

These issues can be a right pain as there are many things that can upset the computer check. I once had problems (not Virgin) because I moved into a new house and was not shown on current the electoral register. Could do nothing about it until the next update of the register was published 6 months later, then no problem. At the same time, another company would not ship to my house because it was not yet shown on the Post Office list, fortunately the PO sorted that out quite quickly for me. During this period I had no problem with many other companies.

It was very difficult to get to the bottom of these problems at the time because the attitude appeared to be "we do not comment on security/credit issues". All you can do is keep plugging away trying to get to the bottom of the refusal or go elsewhere.

I am not sure if it is true or relevant in your case, but I have heard that too many credit checks being made within a short period can also cause problems.

Good luck.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Of course, those that have gone elsewhere have found that they have got credit with no problems.

The problem is with Virgin's underwriters. Some have found that no searches from Virgin appear on their credit files, so some must be done internally somehow. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi deedee2

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and that it has come to this.

It sounds like we will be unable to offer you one of our contract handsets at this time, however you can try again in 90 days.

Based on the information you've described, our position on this is unlikely to change, however the letter you have received will detail how you can progress the case further if you would like to.

Please let me know if you have any further queries though.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos