Menu
robertkwild
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

cant access underground wifi

Hi all,

got a lumia 925 and when i try to connect to virgin media wifi it says cant connect all the time i try to connect to it, where as it should connect automatically and show a splash screen page but i cant get it to work

can anyone help please

many thanks

rob
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: cant access underground wifi

Hi robertkwild,

Thanks for the query Smiley Happy 

Does the lumia say cant connect straight away? 

Are you able to attempt to connect and then open your browser to access a splash page? 

Thanks

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks for replying back

it trys to connect for about a minute then it comes up with an error saying it cant connect or wifi not available, i cant even get to the splash as it cant connect first

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi robertkwild,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly Smiley Happy 

Are you able to connect to any other wireless networks?

Some diagnostics that I would suggest is firstly a hard reboot which is popping the battery out of the phone while the phone is turned on. 

I'd also check to make sure that the software is up to date. I'd suggest using a similar model of Lumia here to find out how to do this.

One of the possible measures to also take, would be a factory reset. Before doing this, you should use Zune to back up all of the information on the phone.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
robertkwild
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks,

i can access any other wifi and software is up to date, havnt tried hotspots tho but i will do a factory reset and get back to you on the outcome

cheers

Rob

0 Kudos
frazor
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just closing the loop on this. There is an active discussion about this on the Nokia forums:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Connectivity/Lumia-920-cannot-connect-to-London-Underground-Virgin-W...

The only 'temporary' solution is a full device reset, but then it seems to break again after a few weeks so I am loathe to keep doing this given the re-setup time for all the apps on the phone each time.

The problem seems to be that the Virgin Media Underground Wifi is not responding Windows Phone devices correctly thus they don't complete the connection. This is worse with Windows Phone 8 GDR2 (or at least anecdotally more people are experiencing it)

0 Kudos
tuberider
Just joined
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm having exactly the same problem on my Lumia 925. When is Virgin Media going to fix it?

0 Kudos
toas_t
Just joined
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm toastie from the nokia forum. I think the problem is not Virgin Media's fault, as reseting the windows phone does resolve the problem. Getting an update to the phone also resolves the problem. It would be nice for someone at Microsoft and Virgin Media to work together and figure this out, as the two companies are the only ones who can identify the problem.

I've now got a NL 1020 and can confirm that last week, a few weeks after updating to WP8.1, I connected to Virgin Media WiFi in the morning going to work, and then could no longer connect coming home.

I've downloaded the 'Diagnostics' App http://www.wpcentral.com/help-make-windows-phone-better-official-diagnostics-app and recorded the failed connection and attached a picture.

I think this is the most us consumers can do.

0 Kudos
tesao69
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem with my Microsoft 435 Lumia running the latest version of Windows 8.1.

I can access all others wifi hotspots (including virgin media at home).  Worked Ok for 1 hour now it simply will not connect at all (does not even get me the splash page).

Has anyone found a solution to this?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi tesao69,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear your having difficulties using the underground WiFi with your handset.

Looking on this thread the fix seems to be a factory reset but you would need to back you phone up or you would lose pictures, contacts etc.

Many thanks

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos