Menu
philiplondon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Will this ever end????

I joined virgin media over six months ago taking there full tv, broadband and landline package offered to me by a doorstep salesman.  After about one month I tried to add a mobile phone contract, this was declined and I was then telephoned by the virgin sales team.  The lady told me that my credit rating was poor and in order to qualify for a virgin mobile phone I would need to take a sim only contract, pay this on time for three months and then they would let me have a mobile phone as well.  I reluctantly agreed to this, aftering explaining to the lady that I would be unable to really use the minutes, data and texts as I had no phone (the reason I tried to get a mobile phone in the first place), she asked "you must have an old phone you can use for the time being?"  I did, so i agreed and the payments were then setup for direct debit so as to make sure they would be on time without fail.

After three months and two weeks of making do with my broken and very old handset I telephoned virgin media to chose my new handset.  This however was not the case!  I was told - "sorry Mr Irving, the stipulation has been changed from three months to six months".  I asked that as the 'rule' had changed after I had taken the contract on the understanding of paying three months bills on time, would I not be entitled to be excluded from the six months payments 'rule' and given the handset as promised?  I was told no and then assured that I would be able to have a handset after making six payments on time.

Then one month later I contacted virgin again to order a replacement sim card as mine had fallen out of the tired and now very broken phone.  I was shocked to find I was charged £5.99 for this but what could I do, I had to have a new sim.  Whilst on the phone the man looked into my account, on my request, to see if I could use my virgin media payments to count towards these six payments I needed to make, he explained they would not be taken into account however, he told me to call back after the october direct debit was taken (this would have been six payments on my virgin media but only five on the virgin mobile account).  I had explained the change from three to six months and he knew about this and he explained he would make a note of what he had told me to do on the system.

So as instructed I called yesterday after the direct debit had cleared and the lady I spoke to see the note and sent a request through for the handset, she told me to call back today, which I did.  I spoke to yet another person who, keeping in line with his other colleagues, told me something completely different.  He said the request should never have gone through, the other person should have never told me to call back after October's payment and that I could not have the handset.  He went on to tell me to call back after November's payment and they would then "see if I could get a handset".

My problem is this - I have been told many different things by many different people, I pay not only a virgin media bill each month that is £60 plus and a virgin mobile bill that this month was £29 as I called 118 118 for 1 minute and 42 seconds and was charged over £8 pound as I do not have a phone which enables internet access which would have allowed me to look up the number I required on the yellow pages or just simply google it, will I continue to pay mobile bills each month and the goal posts continue to change or will I ever get this elusive handset I was promised?  It's not as if I will get it for free my mobile bill will increase accordingly.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  And what was the outcome?  Did you get the handset after six payments or was you givenm yet another hurdle or notified of yet another change in policy?  Will this ever end????

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mphippen
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Will this ever end????

Sounds like a nightmare! Is the sim only contract on a month by month basis? If so my advice would be to cancel it, ditch Virgin Mobile, and go with a mobile provider who do not require you to get a loan when you want to take out a phone contract. I left them for this very reason.

grahamking
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Jesus, sounds like a right nightmare. I've never experienced anything like that with them, but I'd definitely echo the above - sack them off and try another supplier. Their SIM only deals are pretty reasonable but their 24 month deals aren't the best value I don't think.

All Replies
mphippen
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like a nightmare! Is the sim only contract on a month by month basis? If so my advice would be to cancel it, ditch Virgin Mobile, and go with a mobile provider who do not require you to get a loan when you want to take out a phone contract. I left them for this very reason.

grahamking
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Jesus, sounds like a right nightmare. I've never experienced anything like that with them, but I'd definitely echo the above - sack them off and try another supplier. Their SIM only deals are pretty reasonable but their 24 month deals aren't the best value I don't think.

philiplondon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is a month by month sim, they call it a 'rolling 30-day contract'.  I will try again in November however, if I get the run-around again I will 100% go else where.  The one up side is the monthly plan only costs £8 as I am a virgin media customer so I would be hard-pressed to find a better deal.  Thanks for the reply and advise.

0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you have TV,BB,Phone why did you call 118 118 from a mobile to get a phone number why not use your PC & BB and look it up that way on google ??
0 Kudos
philiplondon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was out of the house and as I stated my phone is not a new smart phone with internet access.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Philliplondon,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear of the frustration caused on our part. This isn't what we like to see at all.

With regards to the contract you tried to take out with us, our new freestlye contracts are effectively a loan agreement. This could be why you had some trouble getting the phone. Let me know how it goes when you call next. I hope it's good news Smiley Happy

I'm here if you have any other queries as well.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

philiplondon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks; I will update the post in with the outcome of my next 'pre-arranged' telephone call which is set for around the 11th/12th of November 2015 - this being when six payments have been made on my virgin mobile account.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply philliplondon Smiley Happy

I look forward to hearing from you when you've called.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos