Menu
Will_Superhub1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile repaire - LG G5

Hi people,

Anyone with experience want to chime in and tell me if this is the standard, or the technician i spoke to was trying to get a lot of extra "commission" out of me.

Had my new LG G5 for about a month and half now (had only around a half month of usage because of what follows) and ordered a new sim with new number.

Once received replacement sim i ejected the sim tray in the device and when being removed the tray snagged on the inside and the bottom of the tray broke into the device (will attach screenshots with annotations) 

lg-g5-review-mcrosd-card-420-90.jpg

So got on the phone and explained what had happened and was assured by a customer services rep that the repair was covered under warranty and they would send a repair box out.

Sent the box off and spoke to a repair technician about a week later who said the repair wasn't actually covered under the warranty and that they could send it back to me non repaired (Leaving me without a phone as the plastic blocks a sim from being inserted) or I could pay £235 for the repair (for them to fetch a little bit plastic out of a whole).

At this point I was extremely angry and got the phone back, but after researching the actual costs for repair the cost was drastically different. (£7 for replacement tray and £10 (estimated) for a small tool to fetch the piece of plastic out)

Was the technicians quote correct or was he trying to rip me off to get a better commission from the repair ?

Explanation of damage: the part of the tray snapped (highlighted in orange) into the whole where the tray goes into the phone (directed with blue arrow).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile repaire - LG G5

Sadly for them the staff in the call centre get no commision on anything repair related and only the sales team get commision iirc.  The repair is carried out by a 3rd party not the manufacture, so you can pay what seems to be a very expensive price there or contact LG and see if they can repair it at a lower cost, both those option maintain the guarantee, that last option is a local shop who may be cheaper still but that defo voids the guarantee

0 Kudos
Nathanc2
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same issue but with a samsumg s7 edge, sent of for repair came back with the original fault fixed but now has more faults, cracked screen and also the screen flickers... rang up sent it back was told it was going to cost over £300 for repair even tho they damaged..

Contacted samsung to complain and they said the repair cost is £200, but due to the nature of the faults that I cannot get it under warranty and have to take it up with virgin who are refusing to fix it... only had it 2 months and now it's useless unless I pay to fix it...
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Least you guys got your phone back, virgin has had mine for over a week and wont send me it back or a replacement!!!

0 Kudos
Will_Superhub1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media is great! Either pay £235 or £300 for an easy repair and keep warranty or do it myself or get a third party at significantly lower cost but void my warranty. What a Joke!!!
0 Kudos