Menu
Eggopp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade phone declined but happy to keep taking my money?

So ive been a Virgin Mobile customer now since Jan 2010, so on 19th Jan 2016 that will be 6 years.. My contract has come up for an upgrade as it normally does.

Great! So i call in and go through all the normal process and get told, the phone i would like (xperia M4) costs x amount and air time costs x amount.. which comes to about £28 in total less than im paying now for the same contract..

Then i get told i fail the credit check for the phone but pass the credit check for the sim... **bleep** !! 

Oh and thats not all.. So i can keep paying the £35 a month i pay now for the air time im on without a new phone? How does that work out when the bloke has just told me the new contract would cost me x amount for a phone and air the time is x amount which with 2 separate direct debits is less than im paying now??

I detect a little bit of dual standard fraud stuff going on here..  6 years a customer, never missed a payment on 2 phone contracts, and now Virgin mobile are trying to scam me without a phone?

Oh you can write to our consumer office and complain and appeal says the man on the phone following his little script, dont worry chap, if you dont take into consideration 6 years of good payment history from your current customers and yet still want to take there money off them. I certainly will be writing to them.

And every negative review, social media, twitter, facebook, you name it that i can spread the word on if this doesnt get sorted out will also be getting some feedback too..

Do i sound sacked off with Virgin mobile? damn right i do...  

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade phone declined but happy to keep taking my money?

Hi Eggopp

The contracts we do with handset are split in to 2 agreements, one for the airtime , the other for the handset

The handset part is a credit agreement / interest free loan that's taken our over the course of 24 months. As for being with us for a long time is fantastic and we don't knock loyalty at all , however, the credit ran also checks externally with an independent credit reference and fraud agency which is the part you didn't pass on so its not just our payments history that are checked. The 6 year loyalty isn't taken into consideration when an external credit check is ran and there are separate FCA guidelines that have to be followed.

I can assure you that we are not trying to scam you without a handset. We would love everyone to have the handset they want . however, the FCA guidelines must be followed and adhered to .

If you want to appeal the outcome of the credit check then you can write to our underwriting team. They can tell you the reason why you were declined.

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
Eggopp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not really, because you quote one price for a new phone (the credit over 24 months) and one price for the air time both of which  combined came to £28 (includes £4 insurance per month)

So now my contract is due renewal, which your saying having failed the checks for the phones credit component, i can still use the air time.

BUT!!

My air time is still £35.. so putting this in perspective.. No phone credit.. should you not be deducting the amount that i would otherwise have if i had a new phone seeing as i dont have one. And shouldnt my air time on my current tariff therefore be significantly less and not the same? After all I have now paid for my phone over the last 24 months and lets not forget for the last 24 months i WAS PAYING FOR AIRTIME AND A PHONE!!!  ?? 

If i have a new phone air time is cheaper, if i dont, you scam me for extra money to make up for not passing your credit check when all along your taking my money every month by direct debit anyway. ???

Come on Lee_B, do the math? 

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

simple solution eggopp,

Do like many others are doing, go elsewhere...

VM's credit system is shot...I have a perfect score with both Experian and Equifax, YET, was refused a phone, despite 20+ years with VM, and never a late payment, over £100 a month...

Both Equifax & Experian state that no request for a search was made to them, so VM are doing the 'heavy handed' attitude. Went to another supplier, hey presto, walked out the shop 15 mins later with a phone, NO PROBLEM WITH CREDIT there. 'Certainly sir, credit check is OK, sign here, thanks for the custom' was their reply!!

Appears that VM are deliberately trying to drive people away from their mobiles....(actually CHEAPER to buy the phone elsewhere and get a VM rolling 30 day sim) Says a lot for VM's 'customer service' doesn't it??Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
ajaybhangu
Just joined
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sound very much like the disinterested fob off line I was given over a different matter.

Doesn't fill me with confidence just reading a few posts re there customer service.

Good Luck anyway.

0 Kudos
Eggopp
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh I probably will go elsewhere but for now it's the principle of the matter. Why should they try and rip anyone off, it's bloody criminal.

Why should anyone who has already paid for the phone continue to pay more than what they quote if you have a new phone than without?

That's a dual standard and certainly not ethical. I wonder what watchdog would say about it?
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can assure you we arnt ripping people off .

If you got declined for the handset loan then by all means write to our Underwriting team and they would tell you the reason for the decline.

You are ale to change to a sim only rate to reduce your monthly costs that you pay for the airtime and continue with the current handset. We run simple internal checks and nothing goes external on this basis.

If you didn't call us then you would continue to pay the same rate as outlined in your agreement.

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lee_B wrote:

If you got declined for the handset loan then by all means write to our Underwriting team and they would tell you the reason for the decline.

You are ale to change to a sim only rate to reduce your monthly costs that you pay for the airtime and continue with the current handset. We run simple internal checks and nothing goes external on this basis.

If you didn't call us then you would continue to pay the same rate as outlined in your agreement.

So,  Lee_B, if the credit checks are purely internal, why do customers  (long term, 20+ years!) who pay by DD, always on time, never a late payment in all that time EVER,  get refused??  More than meets the eye here I'm afraid... I pay £100 a month, every month, yet VM didn't want to know!! There must be some very odd criteria at VM if they refuse these sort of people (with 999 credit score as well!!)

But, VM lost out, and someone else gained the money. I will not jump through VM's hoops just to 'prove' I am desperate for their services!!

Other providers do 'proper' checks, as I found out, and, 15 minutes after applying in the shop, they made a phone call, and ...phone!! sorted.. PROPER customer service!!

0 Kudos
Eggopp
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lee_B wrote:

Ok so you clearly didnt read the first post properly either where i clearly state i called!!

And checking my online account..  I am still being charged as if i am paying for my phone 

Your not answering the questions, your skirting around them, whilst its not appropriate for me to get personal as its not your personal fault.. your skirting the subject like a politician.. 

0 Kudos