Menu
Stewie57
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Galaxy S3 Unlocking Code

I'm coming to the end of my mobile contract and decided I wanted to cancel and use a Three PAYG sim.

I called the 789 line who confirmed my phone was not locked to Virgin, provided me with a PAC code and cancelled my contract.

I have now tried a new SIM in the phone and am told the phone is locked.  Fortunately I have my rescue code have put the virgin sim back and it seems to be working still however I feel I have been misled by virgin.

How do i get the phone unlocked now?  I don't see why I should have to pay virgin (or anyone else for that matter) when they tell me its unlocked and I take this information at face value.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Unlocking Code

Are you sure it's the handset that's locked?

If the phone has a virgin logo printed on it and/or you see the red virgin swirl instead of the blue samsung ribbon when you boot up the phone, then yes - it's locked to Virgin.

My understanding is that it's very unusual for Virgin to do this - it tends to be on older handsets.

It's far more likely that you have (say) Virgin Mobile Rescue installed, and it's that locking the handset when you change SIMs. The easy test for this would be to put a different Virgin SIM in...

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stewie57,

I totally agree with you. Once a phone is out of contract the provider should unlock it (if locked) free of charge.

Tesco Mobile definitely do because I've got a Tesco Mobile handset, was locked but after 12 months they gave me an unlock code free of charge.

However, I believe that Virgin charge £15.32 regardless.

You could try calling them on 789 or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone to plead your case but I believe your best/cheapest option will be to try Google, eBay or your local independent phone shop.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you sure it's the handset that's locked?

If the phone has a virgin logo printed on it and/or you see the red virgin swirl instead of the blue samsung ribbon when you boot up the phone, then yes - it's locked to Virgin.

My understanding is that it's very unusual for Virgin to do this - it tends to be on older handsets.

It's far more likely that you have (say) Virgin Mobile Rescue installed, and it's that locking the handset when you change SIMs. The easy test for this would be to put a different Virgin SIM in...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

I just did a quick search on past threads and came across this: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Galaxy-S6-locked/m-p/2888283/highlight/true#M45156

Sounds familiar. I wonder if your phone could be suffering from the same complaint "problem with software"

The OP on that thread was also lead to believe that his phone would be unlocked (as one of the "freestyle" range it should be)!

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Stewie57
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Gorf,   It was the Virgin Mobile rescue app that was the problem.   I have uninstalled and seems to be working fine.Smiley Happy

Thanks also to others who provided helpful suggestions

Stewie57

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear this is all sorted Stewie57 Smiley Happy

If you need anything at all in the near future, don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos