Menu
Jennamackenna
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Safari not working on mobile data

Hi, I hope someone can help.
I have just switched my iPhone 6 from O2 to virgin PAYG.
My mobile data is not working properly. Some apps (such as Whatsapp and email) work ok on mobile data. I can send and receive iMessages and emails. However Safari is not working - server did not respond in time. And other apps such as Facebook, mobile banking, weather apps etc do not work unless I am connected to Wifi.
I have already restarted my phone several times, I reinstalled Facebook but it still doesn't work. Whilst I can send and receive Whatsapp messages, I can download any pics that are sent to me. Can anyone help?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Safari not working on mobile data

Hi Jennamackenna,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your mobile data on your iPhone 6.

Please check that you've got the right version of Flash and that your web browser (Safari) is running the latest update. If this still isn't working for you, are you able to use a different browser? 

If a different browser works, please go to our online help site to run further diagnostics on your phone: Phone Fix

You can also try a factory reset; just make sure that you backup your iPhone so that you don't lose data that you want to keep.

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Jenna, if you go into your Mobile Data settings, are all apps enabled?

To check go Settings > Mobile Data. Scroll down and you will see all your apps and a little toggle next to them that indicates if they are able to use your Mobile Data.

If that's all good. Download Firefox or Chrome browsers from the App Store, and see if they can connect ok.

Failing that, try your SIM in a friends, unlocked, phone.. If the problem persists with your SIM in another phone, then it's Virgin's problem. If another SIM in your phone doesn't work, then it's an issue with iOS.

Jennamackenna
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hiya, thanks for your help. I tried all of those things but mobile data still wasn't working for most of my apps. However, I did a little more research on the internet and discovered the problem.
O2 had only partially unlocked my phone and so the option for Mobile Data Network in Settings wasn't available. By putting my old O2 sim back in, I was able to access this option and change the APN settings to Virgin. I have put the Virgin sim back in and the APN settings have saved and Safari, Facebook etc all now work on mobile data.
Thanks
Jenna
0 Kudos