Menu
Rico-Storm
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SMS converting to MMS

Hello,

I have only recently moved from EE to Virgin mobile paying for 2 x mobile contracts £9 & £6 p/mnth for my wife and I.

I looked on my Virgin Account online to find the £9 contract had an extra £20 in usage above the basic tarrif and was horrifed to be told this is because I`ve been charged 40p each for dozens of text messages that contained NO pictures/NO imoticons but went over 150 characters and therefore converted from SMS to MMS.

When I asked where on the Virgin website or my online account was it detailed that SMS could contain no more than 150 charchters I was told IT WASN`T......it was just something they`d set in their office and wasn`t anywhere for me to see?????????????

I`m sure this can`t be right info from the advisor so could anyone shed light on where this info is laid down for me to see?

Kind regards.

Rob.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMS converting to MMS

It's quite possible to send multi-part SMS messages over 150 characters that are covered by your message allowance.

It will be down to your phone as to why it's changing it to MMS. What phone do you have?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Rico-Storm
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It`s the phone my wife uses which we got as part of the new contract and it is a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and don`t seem to be stung as much but as I can`t view my recent usage online as it keeps coming up with the message "OOPS THERE`S A PROBLEM" then I cant investigate any further.

Thanks for your swift response.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The S6 should be ok for multipart messages.

However you can amend the S6 to be clearer about warning before it gets changes to a chargeable MMS - see here http://www.phonetipsandtricks.com/tips/samsung-galaxy-s6/prevent-sms-turning-into-or-converting-to-m...

0 Kudos
Rico-Storm
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the reply but is there any confirmation anywhere of whether I set my warning to 480 or 160 characters as I`m unsure what the cut off amount is??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The instructions in the link above seem to allow you to get a warning at the stage the message is converted to SMS to MMS.

When that happens will depend on the content of the message i.e. how many characters or inclusion of emoji etc.

But as I've said, it should be more than possible to have a message that goes over 160 characters for a single SMS message. I believe it's the 480 characters before it will go to a MMS.

0 Kudos
Rico-Storm
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have checked the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge and the confusion is in the fact that when you type characters in a text message it seems to allow around 160 characters before a small indication on bottom right of message telling you it`s going 1 of 3 to 2 of 3 and then 3 of 3 hence the 480 characters before it actually comes up with a message across the screen informing you it is converting to a multimedia message and then the characters 1KB stays on screen on bottom right just in case you missed the message coming across the screen.
To 100% confirm what I`ve been charged for I would have to have an itemised bill to check a message for which I`ve been charged above my tarrif and then check that on the phone and count the amount of characters if it is believed to be below 480.
I also did a mixture of emojies and normal characters and the phone did not convert it to multimedia until it hit 480 so for clarity would it be possible to solely do a message entirely of emojies up to the equivalent of 480 characters before converting to multimedia therfore discounting the inclusion and confusion of imojies all together and concentrating purely on the amount of characters that are included in the message??

Just as well I`ve a day off today with no mobile signal and no pressing jobs as otherwise I`d never have the time for this but hopefully a definitive answer is close.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Using emoji's changes the bits rate - which also reduces the amount of characters per SMS

A little example here
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/201458012-Why-do-emoji-on-Android-take-up-more-than-o...
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Rico-Storm
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Teabag,
I checked the parameters of the S6 Edge and indeed it counts at least 2 characters per imoji thereby limiting an SMS to at least half the normal characters.
The chance of my wife converting 50 messages to MMS I think is highly unlikely and so I will report back with why we've been charged almost 3x our tariff when I have sight of our online account.
0 Kudos