Menu
Markiemac
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Recently ported number and can’t receive messages from one contact

I ported my number from TPO to Virgin and it’s been a challenge from the get go. Virgin claimed it was all done but I didn’t have any signal and my number wasn’t working. It’s been 2 weeks and while things are improved, I am unable to receive texts from one important contact, my elderly Dad - who is on TPO - and who I have been in regular contact with before the porting fiasco. I have deleted and re-entered my Dads number and my Dad has done same for me, I have reset my settings, completed a full factory reset and most recently got a replacement SIM but to no avail. My father who is on 3G phone and I am on an iPhone 6. There were no problems previously and we are not on one another’s blocked list.TPO have confirmed that my account with them is closed. Last weekend I swapped the SIMs in my phone with my Dads and the same issue occurred in reverse. I’ve run out of ideas and would appreciate a solution. I did read on one forum that the issue may have been not all files were closed properly during the porting and when I ended up being referred to Apple, they suggested the issue might be more to do with Virgin. Feels like I am going around in circles. Sorry for the overly long post!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
japitts
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Recently ported number and can’t receive messages from one contact

Ok, so it's just a problem of texting from A > B where B has ported out from the same network as A. Perhaps I should also have asked whether you can text in reverse ok

If it were voice calls that were failing, then that always has to be investigated from the originating network outward, as that is where the call traces would be initiated (amongst other reasons but that's one of the more persuasive). I'm not sure if there's any etiquette with text messaging and it's been a while since I was hands-on in Tech Support. but I would say the originating network is the best place to start still. No harm trying to report it to VM too, since it's pretty obviously a porting issue.

Being a budget-end MVNO I don't doubt this will be far easier said than done, amongst other things they may try to argue that "if your phone says sent, and other people can receive them - it must be a Virgin problem".

0 Kudos

All Replies
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So let's go back to basics with the issue here, if that's ok....

Your father is a TPO user. You have ported from TPO > Virgin. Can he send texts to other numbers/networks ok, and it's only you affected? Likewise can you send or receive from other networks/users ok?

It would be especially useful for identifying the source of the issue, if you can prove a) Your dad's ability to send to at least 2 separate networks, and b) Your ability to receive calls or texts from a network other than the one you're on now.

Almost certainly this is a porting issue, and I suspect the fault lies in the originating operator

Markiemac
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks you for taking the time to reply. Yes my Dad is with TPO and still is. I came from TPO to Virgin. My dad can text other family members and can receive texts from them, some on O2 and BT and Tesco. I can send and receive messages from other family members on these operators too. Seems only to be me that is affected in terms of not getting messages from my Dad. Virgin tech support seem to be at a loss as what to do, which really means that I am completely floundering. My next idea was to contact TPO, on my fathers behalf, to try to find out why he can’t text me. The messages he sends are showing up as sent and clearing his phone.

So I can confirm both my father and I can receive and send to at least 2 other operators, he can receive messages from me and we can speak to one another on the phone but I cannot get any texts he has sent since the porting of my number 2 weeks ago. 

0 Kudos
Markiemac
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

P.s also just checked and I can also send and receive text messages from vodaphone.

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok, so it's just a problem of texting from A > B where B has ported out from the same network as A. Perhaps I should also have asked whether you can text in reverse ok

If it were voice calls that were failing, then that always has to be investigated from the originating network outward, as that is where the call traces would be initiated (amongst other reasons but that's one of the more persuasive). I'm not sure if there's any etiquette with text messaging and it's been a while since I was hands-on in Tech Support. but I would say the originating network is the best place to start still. No harm trying to report it to VM too, since it's pretty obviously a porting issue.

Being a budget-end MVNO I don't doubt this will be far easier said than done, amongst other things they may try to argue that "if your phone says sent, and other people can receive them - it must be a Virgin problem".

0 Kudos
Markiemac
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to update you as to where I got with this. It’s the issue of not 4eceiving texts from my Dad ona recently ported number. Seems only to apply to one contact, and to text messages in one direction.

TPO have said that the ‘routing’ on the Virgin SIM card needs to be ‘configured’ I’ve already had a replacement SIM from Virgin and that didn’t make a difference, and the message itself doesn’t mean much to me... copied below if you would like to see the advice in context. I did swap the SIM card in the A and B phone last weekend and the problem was exactly reversed which made me think that the handsets were working fine. I tried to explain this to Virgin but the customer rep said that the fault was with my father’s handset and as they didn’t support it there was nothing they could do. Virgin customer rep also said they had communicated with TPO about the issue and both agreed it wasn’t a provider problem. Then the representative hung up! I think I may need to ask them to either give me  a PAC code so I transfer to a network where I can receive texts from my Dad, or I may need to PAC transfer my Dad to Virgin to see if that helps solve the issue. 

My plan this weekend is to set my Dad’s phone back to factory settings and place his TPO SIM in another spare phone and then back in his phone after the factory reset. I don’t think it will make any difference, but worth a try. 

The only other thing thing was that TPO asked for an IMEI number and some dates of messages that were sent but not received so they could share it with the Three network. I’ve replied but again I have no belief that it’s going to lead to a break through.

Message from TPO to my Dad whose account is with them and who I do not receive texts from but can text>>

“As the issue started when your son transferred to a new provider I would advise he contacts the new provider and raises an incoming SMS issue with them. The new provider will need to look into this issue and configure the routing on the sim. I would advise that you provide SMS examples to help fix the issue.

So that this issue can be be escalated with our team at Three please fill in the template below and send this back to me.”

Thanks again for your advice on this issue. 

0 Kudos