Menu
mrbeatnik
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Prove your age

So here I am using mobile broadband, no WiFi available. But a website is blocked because I haven't turned off the filter.

No problems, and fair enough. I log onto my account, change the setting. 24 hours later and it still doesn't work.

I phone. They see I changed it but they are not sure why it didn't work. Oh well, they change it for me and say it shouldn't be long. 24 hours later, it still doesn't work.

I phone again, and they are confused. Say they can try again. A little more digging suggests that the way they verify the age is by contracting a credit agency (Equifax I think). They THINK that it didn't return the info... But they are not sure. They can't really say why it's not working for some reason (can't they contract Equifax to find out?)

So, how do I get the filter turned off?
I need to send my birth certificate to them.

Really? My bank details are good enough for you to take money and supply me with a two year contract. It's good enough as confirmation of who I am, but not my age?

If I AM under 18 (hint: I'm not)… it's perfectly acceptable to send me a phone and charge me money and potentially get a minor into debt? But not view a humour site (9gag by the way.... Even though reddit and 4chan aren't blocked).

You really need to have my birth certificate? And I can't even email you a copy? Snail mail? Come on....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prove your age

Is it a pay monthly contract? According to their own terms and conditions (section 3.1), they should have already verified that you are over 18.

Oddly enough, it's not a requirement for other deals such as SIM only and pay as you go.

0 Kudos
mrbeatnik
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It certainly is a contact. No phone, just contract.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The terms and conditions for pay monthly (phone and SIM) agreement) stipulate that you have to be age 18 or over to form the contract. It's implicit that if you are the bill payer, you're old enough to access restricted pages.

With your SIM only rolling contract, there's no such clause. It only mentions age restricted content in respect of the bill payer's obligations with regard to their own viewing of such material and that of any minors who use the handset.

0 Kudos