Menu
Wilma
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Premium rate scams

I clicked on what I thought was a tesco competition on Facebook only to find I had unwittingly clicked on a link to hot prizes which is charging me £4.50 per week. I tried to unsubscribe by texting STOP to 85011 however the texts have all failed to send. Any advice on how I can stop this. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Premium rate scams

If the company is providing a dead number to text to, then that's some shady practices going on there. Either STOP or STOPALL is the norm to text back.

If you're with Virgin for the mobile: Ring 789 from your mobile / 0345 600 0789 from any phone. Let them know about the problem. They may be able to refund you and potentially even block the number from reaching yours.

If your mobile isn't with Virgin, contact the company it is with.

You can also check via the EE page to see if they have any info on them, if they do, use it to try opting out: https://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-...

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the company is providing a dead number to text to, then that's some shady practices going on there. Either STOP or STOPALL is the norm to text back.

If you're with Virgin for the mobile: Ring 789 from your mobile / 0345 600 0789 from any phone. Let them know about the problem. They may be able to refund you and potentially even block the number from reaching yours.

If your mobile isn't with Virgin, contact the company it is with.

You can also check via the EE page to see if they have any info on them, if they do, use it to try opting out: https://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-...

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Wilma
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thank you will give these a go 

0 Kudos