Menu
a11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No phone service abroad

I'm  in italy and have had no phone connection since i arrived several days ago. I have tried connecting to any of the networks i can see, and have taken battery out etc, but still have no service. My husband also has virgin account and the same problem -we have never had any difficulty with other providers.

Please advise!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: No phone service abroad

Hi a11,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy and thanks for posting

Sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties using roaming in Italy. Appreciate this is frustrating for you.

You would need to check roaming is active when you log into Your Account

Click on plan and device > Click the tab manage services

Make sure roaming is set to on here.

If it isn't move the slider to on and click update. This will present you with a green success message. It may take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

You can also check the call barring option to stop calls abroad isn't set to on.

You could also try the following steps if roaming is on:

• Turn your phone off and then back on again
  • Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.
  • Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network

If you still experiencing difficulties give our mobile team a call on +44345 6000 789 from so we can take a further look into this for you.

Let me know how it goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
a11
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have done all those things. Roaming is set to on. International call barring off. Tried automatic connection and manual connection to visible networks: TIM, ITA, vodaphone IT and I WIND. Have removed battery several times too.

I've  never experienced  this problem with other service providers!

I can't ring you because I have no phone service.

Is it possible for you to activate it remotely?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi a11,

Really disappointed to hear you've not managed to get roaming working. 

You seem to be picking up all the networks available to you. I've provided a link here to our roaming page which shows our partner networks in Italy.

I'm afraid due to security we are not able to remotely activate roaming. You would need to speak with our team on the number previously provided.

Many thanks.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
a11
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have to say this seems incredibly poor customer service. You must have access to my account and are obviously able to email me directly without going through this forum.

We'll  have to look into switching our contracts on our return, to another provider which 

a) provides hassle-free connection when travelling

b) provides proper contact details and a quick response to problems

c) doesn't  insult my intelligence by offering me a badge for posting a complaint!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi a11,

Appreciate this is frustrating for you.

I have another option for you. I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) regarding this.

Speak soon 

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
everest
Just joined
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes you need to get your Roaming working before you can use your phone outside your country but remember extra cost will apply.

0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi a11,
Did Stephen sort your roaming out?
VM appear to have big problems with data and call roaming. All complaints here have the same canned response from Stephen, but there is no sign of any learning or resolution.

Can you shed any light on whether you got resolution or just gave up?
0 Kudos
a11
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just got a long polite email from the media web team confirming roaming access is set and that their partners here are the networks I can see  and have tried many times to connect to. Phone is showing good signal, just not working!

If it does get sorted I'll  post how... Unless it turns out to be something I've  just overlooked, I would definitely  have an alternative when going abroad as I  wouldn't trust it to work and have  never had problems before with others.

0 Kudos