Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Is it worth the switch?

I'm looking for feedback from people who Virgin for the mobile and have the £5 deal (perk for being a broadband etc customer.)

Currently I am with O2 on a £9.50 a month SIM only deal. 250 minutes air time, 250Mb 3G/4G data.

• What's the coverage like in general?
  • Do you think saving £4.50 a month would be worth the sacrifice of 4G?
  • How user friendly is the online control panel for accounts?
  • Do Virgin provide an app that allows you use your airtime allowance to call and text from your computer etc like O2 does (TU GO)?
  • Anything else I should take into consideration?

Thanks in advance.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is it worth the switch?

Hi Shelke,

Virgin Mobile is certainly a lot better value than you're currently getting with O2.
(Same airtime but twice as much data, unlimited texts and as a Media customer unlimited calls to other Virgin mobiles, for only a fiver Smiley Happy)

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for years, I've also taken advantage of having dual SIM phones so have (and still do) use other providers at the same time.

Personally I have found EE's coverage (including Virgin) to be consistently the best.

My phone isn't 4G compatible so can't really comment on the difference there. As far as mobile data over 3G goes, I used Virgin for 2 years, Vodafone for 3 months (terrible) and currently I'm using Three Mobile.

The time it takes pages to load on my phone and the quality seems about the same with a Virgin SIM, an EE SIM and the Three SIM.

The control settings in Virgin's "Account Hub" for your preferences are actually easy to use and I personally have never had a problem...

However... the number of posts on this forum from people struggling with "roaming" and "parental control" settings in their account suggest that I might just be lucky Smiley Happy

Another thing to consider is the customer service team on 789.

Reading the posts on this forum you might be forgiven for having a low opinion of them but people generally only come here with problems.

In over 10 years I have made many calls to customer services for all sorts of reasons and by and large have always achieved a good outcome (yes, there have been occasions where I have had to politely end the call and redial to speak to someone more competent. but that's life) Smiley Happy

Finally, if you do decide to leave O2 to come to Virgin give your Local Store a try.

The in store sales personnel have discretion to offer discounts to new customers:

On a new SIM only plan you could get half price for six months if bringing your O2 number to Virgin Mobile Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Shelke

A Virgin PAYG sim will give you a good indication of signal of where you go mostly,

I would not risk porting your number over untill your completely sure you want to change and your homework is complete.

500meg of data with the £5 Virgin sim may soon be disappearing ??
Only available untill July 31st, final chance advertised at top of page
http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Shelke,

I can understand your hesitation... you are used to what you know.

If you are quite happy with O2, I guess it just comes down to price really. There Virgin Mobile are definitely the winner (at the expense of 4G).

Catching Pokemon on Virgin's 3G network hasn't been a problem here Cat LOL

But coverage and network strength will obviously be different for you.

Checkout this independent coverage checker: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone-providers/article/mobile-phone-coverage-map

You could give a Virgin SIM only plan a try and stick with the "temporary" Virgin number to start with.
(Pop your O2 SIM in a spare phone for incoming calls).

That way you're not going to feel worried about committing yourself or losing your O2 number.

It's only a fiver you are risking and you can cancel anytime up to 14 days (just paying for airtime used) or after that, 30 days notice so just another fiver.

If you do decide to port your number the process is usually very quick and straightforward.

Once the number is established on the network there should be no problem obtaining a PAC to port it back out again if you decide.

(This is done all the time where people temporarily move their number to another provider only in order to move it back again to a new SIM on their "old" network).

All the best Smiley Happy

derek1612
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi shelke if your phone a 4g it not worth switch cause virgin only do 3g network cause my phone 4g too and i have the same problem at moment so just consider first.
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Shelke said:" I recently got a iphone 5s to replace my iphone 4s"

A Virgin PAYG sim would also show/check your iphones have not locked themselves to O2.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Will keep fingers crossed that all goes well for you :-)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Shelke,

Virgin Mobile is certainly a lot better value than you're currently getting with O2.
(Same airtime but twice as much data, unlimited texts and as a Media customer unlimited calls to other Virgin mobiles, for only a fiver Smiley Happy)

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for years, I've also taken advantage of having dual SIM phones so have (and still do) use other providers at the same time.

Personally I have found EE's coverage (including Virgin) to be consistently the best.

My phone isn't 4G compatible so can't really comment on the difference there. As far as mobile data over 3G goes, I used Virgin for 2 years, Vodafone for 3 months (terrible) and currently I'm using Three Mobile.

The time it takes pages to load on my phone and the quality seems about the same with a Virgin SIM, an EE SIM and the Three SIM.

The control settings in Virgin's "Account Hub" for your preferences are actually easy to use and I personally have never had a problem...

However... the number of posts on this forum from people struggling with "roaming" and "parental control" settings in their account suggest that I might just be lucky Smiley Happy

Another thing to consider is the customer service team on 789.

Reading the posts on this forum you might be forgiven for having a low opinion of them but people generally only come here with problems.

In over 10 years I have made many calls to customer services for all sorts of reasons and by and large have always achieved a good outcome (yes, there have been occasions where I have had to politely end the call and redial to speak to someone more competent. but that's life) Smiley Happy

Finally, if you do decide to leave O2 to come to Virgin give your Local Store a try.

The in store sales personnel have discretion to offer discounts to new customers:

On a new SIM only plan you could get half price for six months if bringing your O2 number to Virgin Mobile Smiley Happy

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

That's a really helpful answer @AlexKid. My first ever cell phone company was O2 (joined them in 2008) and I got my first ever cell phone from them, an O2 Cocoon. I've never been with another cell phone company (so far, anyway.)

167.jpg

I recently got a iphone 5s to replace my iphone 4s. And I've been playing Pokemon Go a lot... which added a concern for me 3G signal wise. In this board there a lot of topics about no 3G signal indoors and needing booster boxes or some areas having no signal at all. That's something I couldn't put up with.

If I joined and number ported, then say found that signal was horrific for me, what would happen if I cancelled without 14 working days.Would I be able to request my PAC code from Virgin then say... go to back to O2 or whatever? Is it even possible for them to issue a PAC code for such a short stay customer? I certainly don't want to lose my number.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Shelke

A Virgin PAYG sim will give you a good indication of signal of where you go mostly,

I would not risk porting your number over untill your completely sure you want to change and your homework is complete.

500meg of data with the £5 Virgin sim may soon be disappearing ??
Only available untill July 31st, final chance advertised at top of page
http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

PAYG SIM - very good idea @teabag. Unfortunately my O2 contract runs to November, so I won't be porting that early. I'll order one of those up and pop it into my 4s and give it a whirl while I chase Pokemon on my 5s.

Unrelated, I feel like sharing a pic of the latest colorful addition to my home:

true.jpg

As you can see, she's fond of Virgin like I am.

- - - - - -
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Shelke,

I can understand your hesitation... you are used to what you know.

If you are quite happy with O2, I guess it just comes down to price really. There Virgin Mobile are definitely the winner (at the expense of 4G).

Catching Pokemon on Virgin's 3G network hasn't been a problem here Cat LOL

But coverage and network strength will obviously be different for you.

Checkout this independent coverage checker: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone-providers/article/mobile-phone-coverage-map

You could give a Virgin SIM only plan a try and stick with the "temporary" Virgin number to start with.
(Pop your O2 SIM in a spare phone for incoming calls).

That way you're not going to feel worried about committing yourself or losing your O2 number.

It's only a fiver you are risking and you can cancel anytime up to 14 days (just paying for airtime used) or after that, 30 days notice so just another fiver.

If you do decide to port your number the process is usually very quick and straightforward.

Once the number is established on the network there should be no problem obtaining a PAC to port it back out again if you decide.

(This is done all the time where people temporarily move their number to another provider only in order to move it back again to a new SIM on their "old" network).

All the best Smiley Happy

derek1612
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi shelke if your phone a 4g it not worth switch cause virgin only do 3g network cause my phone 4g too and i have the same problem at moment so just consider first.
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Shelke said:" I recently got a iphone 5s to replace my iphone 4s"

A Virgin PAYG sim would also show/check your iphones have not locked themselves to O2.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I didn't think the £5 reduction for having broadband/TV was still available. The only perk is free Virgin-Virgin calls.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:
I didn't think the £5 reduction for having broadband/TV was still available. The only perk is free Virgin-Virgin calls.

@Gorf It's pretty interesting, when I contacted Customer Relations a few weeks back about a random issue they tried to persuade me to take the £5 SIM only deal from Virgin. So it does appear to still be an option. It's that call which got me thinking about money saving and led to this topic.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos