Menu
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is Wifi Buddy using my data?

I have just received a message to say that I have exceeded the limit on my 1GB data on my Virgin Moto X.  When I checked data usage in settings it shows me the apps that have used the data including 394MB used by Wifi Buddy?  When I select Wifi Buddy it shows 71.66kB Foreground and 393MB Background.  What does this mean?  Is this telling me that WifiBuddy is using my data allowance, which clearly is what it is designed not to do?

Screenshot_20160703-220455.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is Wifi Buddy using my data?

Is your data usage app showing just mobile data or all data? If the former, then there's definitely something wrong.
0 Kudos
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Gorf.

Here is the top of the Mobile screen in my last posting, which I assume is mobile data only:

Screenshot_20160706-222325.png

Then this is the wifi data:

Screenshot_20160706-222237.png

So in answer to your question, it looks to me to be the former.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi nolly1953

Thanks for your post.

We certainly wouldn't be expecting to see WiFi buddy using Mobile Data in the way you've described.

Could I ask you to uninstall and reinstall this app and let us know if it continues to use Mobile Data like this?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi nolly1953

You are not mistaken about the data usage, do you have a Moto G ???

Normally I don't use Wi-Fi Buddy because of the battery drain bug on a Moto G, I have been running it for a day and half now trying to help the developers out with the battery drain problem, Wifi Buddy has also used over 68meg of mobile data during the one and half days it has been running.

EDIT: just noticed from your first post that you have a Moto X, do you suffer from fast battery drain with Wifi Buddy ?

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag. My bad... it is a Moto G 2nd gen. I also contacted the Virginmedia apps people who got me to go into developer mode and generate a report which I have sent them. I expect to hear anytime. I will post here when I have an answer.
Also interested in the battery drain which I put down to my phone battery dying! Let me know how you get on.
Nolly1953
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly mine is G 2nd as well.

If you check your battery graph, my battery drops rapidly every time I leave my house/wifi, returns back to normal when back connected to WiFi. I have to "force stop" WiFi Buddy from running if I want my battery to last more than about 4 hours while out and about, my battery can last up to 2 days without WiFi Buddy running.

Looking at the data usage in my online account, it shows WiFi Buddy is using around 10meg of data when I leave the house - this only happens when WiFi Buddy is running, in the 2 days I left WiFi Buddy running it used 68meg, if I take that as an average and times it by 15, equals around 1gig a month :-(

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi nolly1953 and teabag

Thank you for your updates on this one - it sounds like you may have uncovered a glitch that occurs between the app and this particular handset, so great work Smiley Happy

I'm sure the developers will be keen to get this fixed up once they've checked through the report.

Are you expecting an update from us on this nolly1953?

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
nolly1953
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark_Y,

I have forwarded the issue to Marie at AppFeedback who has forwarded my bug report to Motorola.  I think that the posting here is still useful for anyone else experiencing similar problems.  I am going to un-install Wifi Buddy and re-install it to see what happens.

nolly1953

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update nolly1953.

It's good to hear that his has all been fed back Smiley Happy

Let me know how you get on after reinstalling the app.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

0 Kudos