Menu
Cookie04
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ex Girlfriend took out contract in my name!

My Ex partner has run the bill up on her mobile phone its now at £108 as she hasn't paid the Direct Debits. Virgin have sent me the bill when it should be in her name and address not mine!

The phone hasn't been in use since September as she destroyed it, I have called Virgin a number of times from my phone to inform them I am not and have never been in possession of the phone or SIM card as I am not the phone owner.. she is and always has been.

I have tried contacting her regarding paying the bill as it looks like its me not paying, and also don't want to see her ever again if it can be helped.

If she cancelled the direct debits and missed the payments surely it should bounce back to her bank and not me right?

Any suggestions on how I can overcome this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ex Girlfriend took out contract in my name!

If she took it out in your name without your permission (you should have set up any contract in your name), then its fraud.

Virgin will not without proof of fraud cancel the contract, you are stuck with the bill sadly. If you fail to pay they may use a debt collection agency to recover the money they think you owe them.

If she was paying the bill, then the bank account used was possible hers, but if she has cancelled the DD then as the contract is in your name, you get to pick up the bill. Is the ex willing to refund/pay you the outstanding?

I expect you are between a rock and a hard place sadly and I would not think Virgin will let this go Smiley Sad

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If she took it out in your name without your permission (you should have set up any contract in your name), then its fraud.

Virgin will not without proof of fraud cancel the contract, you are stuck with the bill sadly. If you fail to pay they may use a debt collection agency to recover the money they think you owe them.

If she was paying the bill, then the bank account used was possible hers, but if she has cancelled the DD then as the contract is in your name, you get to pick up the bill. Is the ex willing to refund/pay you the outstanding?

I expect you are between a rock and a hard place sadly and I would not think Virgin will let this go Smiley Sad
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I agree with J0hn

If you initially agreed to the contract for her then your liable regardless as its your name that it was setup in to which you agreed to pay for the contract to which your liable to pay every penny

If the contract was setup without your permission this is outright fraud.

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
Cookie04
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes Virgin had her bank details and as far as I knew it was being collected from her bank until I was hit with a bill!
She is not willing to pay the bill by the look of it as I have attempted contact with her and family members but she ain't giving in..
Virgin are aware of the situation and have said they will clear my name as she is responsible for cancelling her bank details.
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The bill payer is redundant when it comes to the liability of the account. Its the name on the front of the account who original agreed to the terms and conditions. If you agreed to the contract then regardless of who pays the bill it was yourself that agreed to pay them under then TCNS
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, lousy circumstances but the bottom line seems to be that it's your account and you are responsible for payment not with standing that when everything was ok with your ex she took on the billing.

Just really posting to mention that the first thing not to overlook in the turmoil is cancellation of the (your) account.

Hope things improve for you

0 Kudos