Menu
mandypeps
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Due to a 'system migration' Virgin cannot repair my phone - what can I do?

Hi all, any ideas for a frustrating situation?

My phone started acting oddly last week, increasingly showing an earphones sign which meant I could not listen to incoming calls. I stupidly decided to try the Virgin Media help number because the website said it was under maintenance because of a 'system migration' – let’s just call it 'THE SM'.

I couldn't get through at all on Saturday - just repeatedly got cut off going through the automatic menu or very shortly after pick up after lengthy waits - 30 minutes of my life gone.

On Sunday the same thing happened x 5, until I found another number online and eventually spoke to someone who suggested factory resets etc (all done already, no joy) but they then said they couldn't log the call or book my phone in for repair due to 'THE SM' so please could I phone back tomorrow? Another 45 minutes of my life gone.

By Monday, the phone's audio had completely gone and it was repeatedly crashing but no disconnections on the helpline – wahoo - just a 20 mins wait for call centre and essentially the same conversation again - nothing they could log or do because of 'THE SM'. Of course. This lady said she would give me a call when it was working again. Kind thought, although impractical [ because MY PHONE IS BROKEN, THAT'S WHY I AM PHONING YOU TO FIX IT]. Another 45 minutes of my life gone.

On Tuesday I got the repeated disconnections problem again so I tried to access the website 'Phone Fix' service again. This didn't work - not in an obvious 'THIS SITE IS UNDER MAINTENANCE' way this time - but rather a more subtle, more frustrating, login in- click the Phone Fix link - miraculously return to the login page – click the link- login cycle in perpetuum - so 15 minutes more of life wastage. Sigh.

By Wednesday my phone turned on but had lost all functions, but there was a happy message on the helpline saying 'THE SM IS COMPLETE - HURRAY! But after 20 minutes of muzack the call centre still said the same thing - they still couldn't organise a repair because of ‘THE SM’ of course, although they could actually log the call this time. Which was nice of them, however a further 30 minutes of my life does get chalked up and I still have an entirely broken phone so I asked them whether they would reimburse me for the cheap interim handset and SIM I had had to buy, The nice lady said she’d ask for a £20 credit (less than I paid, but thanks) but she couldn't actually perform the credit herself because of, wait for it, 'THE SM'. Of course, THE SM.

Today my phone won't turn on. The same happy SM message greeted me, but the man in the call centre said that my phone was 'inactive' and so he couldn't help me [IT IS NOT INACTIVE IT IS BROKEN. AS YOU  WELL KNOW. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO FOR YOU TO HELP ME?????] I really needed Virgin Media to come up with some sort of solution to this chaos of their own making and so I asked to speak to his manager, who was very nice and very well drilled in PR speak about keeping the 'case close to his chest' and 'he could imagine my frustration' etc but, in essence, he said, er, he couldn't see any way of helping me get my phone fixed because of 'THE SM' (or rather its toxic fallout...) and, er, no he couldn't work out any other way to help me with my phone that didn’t involve the computer system because of, er, well just because….

So after 210 minutes of calls over 6 days, the only answer I have had from Virgin Media when I have requested that they repair or replace my broken handset as per my contract/insurance  is - 'COMPUTER SAYS NO!'.

I have asked about taking the phone into a Virgin mobile shop for assessment/repair - COMPUTER SAYS NO. When pressed as to why not, that would surely be a quite sensible way to do it - pause - THE COMPUTER JUST SAYS NO, OK!!!

I have asked whether they could get in contact with the repair centre by email or maybe phone to facilitate this as they might have done 10 years ago? Quizzical silence - WHAT, LOW-TECH??? COMPUTER SAYS NO!

Taking out a pen and writing that address you can see on the screen on an appropriate package along with a covering letter permitting appropriate assessment and repair. NO!!!!!!!

I guess that rules out my encrypted message/carrier pigeon idea then, which is a shame because it worked quite well in WWI.

What about giving me the telephone number or address of the repair centre so that I can empower myself to organise this delivery, if necessary in person - COMPUTER SAYS NO NO NO NO NO TO ALL YOUR HUMAN SUGGESTIONS!

What about Virgin, in the circumstances, allowing or requesting for another professional repair service with an intact referrals system to be accessed - COMPUTER HAS NO MORE WAYS OF SAYING NO!!!!!!!!!

What about me sending in my broken phone to Virgin without the repair registration in place, and, in the circumstances and seeing as I am fully insured, just sending me out a reconditioned phone or some form of cheap but functional smartphone replacement which they could then swop back if they ever manage to fix my phone in future  - NO NO NO THAT IS NOT OUR REPAIR PROCESS, WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO REMIND YOU IS CONSIDERED THE BEST OF ALL THE NETWORKS!

Why not, in the circumstances, with an ongoing glitch and increasing backlog, and presumably a crack team of repair artists twiddling their thumbs in their secret location, can you/senior management do some blue sky thinking and put in place a temporary, alternative, method of accessing the existing repair service - HOW DO I ASK A COMPUTER THIS? COMPUTER DOESN'T KNOW. STOP ASKING SENSIBLE QUESTIONS!!!

What about some compensation to acknowledge the time spent without my mobile phone or timely help from Virgin Media help services - COMPUTER REMAINS SILENT ON THIS ISSUE

What about a rough timeframe ( I'm thinking days or weeks or months...) for when your helpdesk might actually be able to help me as their paying customer. COMPUTER DOESN'T KNOW SO THE ANSWER IS NO!!!!!!!!!!

So, anybody out there with a more computer-literate brain than I - can anybody think of some smart human-computer interfacing process by which a multinational, 1000+ strong company of humans can outwit their computer system and finally allow a broken phone to be put into a cushioned envelope and put in a post box?

Anybody?

Anybody??

I am heading for some gin.

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Due to a 'system migration' Virgin cannot repair my phone - what can I do?

Hi Mandypeps,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've had some issues with booking your phone in for repair. You can either do this by calling in on 789 or 0345 6000 789.

You can also book the phone in via your online account by going into plans and devices and click on Phone repairs.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Joesdad
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I feel your pain.

I have for the last 10 days had a similar experience with trying to upgrade my 2 Virgin Mobile contracts.

What has me quite livid is how freely and casually the operators blatantly lie just to get me off the phone.

They present Virgin Mobile as the most inept and incompetent company to exist in IT land.

They have taken all that time just to rest my account as they were order phone after phone so the system said I'd exceeded my credit limit - but they have not sent me one phone yet!

yesterday was the perfect example, yet another faceless person PROMISED to call me today with an update, even if it was just to confirm nothing had happened. Of course the lazy sod did not call.

Oooh, I got my bill though - that part of the rubbish multi-million pound upgrade was obviously tested thoroughly before they threw the rest of the system down the toilet!!

I cannot upgrade in a store, they cannot do anything manually - 3 here I come, coz Virgin neither respect me nor do they give a damn about customers (like, they could just send us all a text saying they have a problem - but, no respect)

Simply disgusting and shameful Virgin.

Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joesdad,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've had issues upgrading your phone. I want to help here.

I've sent you a PM detailing the next steps.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
mandypeps
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am in despair. 

I haven't been able to use my telephone for phone calls since just after the last week of March - see my first post. 

Since then, unbelievably, I have still not been able to get my phone fixed. It is now 3 weeks later!

Firstly, after more than 2 hours on the phone to Virgin during a systems migration that took over a week (so I could not book my phone in for repair) I was promised a 4th April call back on by a senior UK based manager to update me. I am still waiting for that call. 

Secondly, a lady on 31st March had promised me £20 towards the cost of a PAYG handset etc - no sign of that either. I have spent £80 on a substitute PAYG handset and fees with a rival network because they were unable to sort out a cheap interim handset...BECAUSE OF THE SYSTEM MIGRATION, of course.

Eventually, and with absolutely no help from Virgin for 10 days, the Phone Fix service was back up and running, so I sent it off on 13th April. 

Imagine my joy when I received a box back in the post today...

I opened it to discover that, no, my phone hadn't been fixed. They didn't tell me what was wrong with it, just said that they couldn't contact me or I had decided not to go ahead with a repair. THERE HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY NO COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER.

COULDN'T CONTACT ME??? VIRGIN MEDIA OWE ALL THE WAYS I COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE - my landline, my landline answerphone, my email, this forum. You know exactly where I live - what about a letter. HOW ON EARTH COULDN'T YOU CONTACT ME?? And what about sending me the report from the technicians if you were unable to contact me. No, course not, that would be helpful customer service, and Virgin are incapable of doing that.

So I telephoned that 789 number again. Got cut off 3 times - as usual. Eventually got through to someone after 20 mins to find they couldn't help me because, wait for it. 

THE SYSTEM IS DOWN! First it was migrating, now it is down. 

No, they couldn't tell me why they hadn't been able to repair the phone. No they couldn't help with any aspect of the problem. They just suggested I call tomorrow - either  to Insurance or Technical in the hope that the systems would be back up and running and they might, just might possibly be able to help me somehow. 

I work. I have a child. I don't have time for all these 40 minute phone calls. So I asked the guy on the other end of the phone to notify Technical repairs with my new number so that they could get the diagnostic report sent out to my address. HE COULDN'T DO THAT. He absolutely couldn't put a pen to paper or write an email to help me. 

SHAMEFUL.

VIRGIN YOU SUCK AT YOUR JOB.

cheeseburger
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mandypeps, try sending a PM to Mat_H (Forum Team), who's normally pretty good on here. Click on his face (above) and then on the right hand side of the screen, directly above the big red box 'Add user to Friends' is 'Send this user a private message'. Direct liaison with him might prove more fruitful.

0 Kudos
AngusNcle
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I do find it scary that a person replying to sort my problem. Implying from virgin asks for my full name , address , account number, phone number , and password. Sorry but I won't trust this even if it seems to be a legitimate form, they are so easy to falsify.

Has anyone completed such in depth security?

How do you send private messages?

Angus
0 Kudos
AngusNcle
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

PS last vigin help call over 90 minutes ! Any one beat that
Angus

Pps still not sorted as waiting for bill to be generated before they can add credits apparently. Don't want to confuse the computer ! - so it all will be sorted next week. When did I last hear that. . oh yes. . last week and the week before, and the week before, oh yes and the week before that too
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi AngusNcle,

As I mentioned before, the form allows us to pass data protection so we can get this all sorted for you.

If you don't want to pop the form over, that's fine Smiley Happy We wont be able to process this on our side as we can't pass data protection.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are a joke!

0 Kudos