Menu
Mummywolf
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Charged for phantom MMS

Hi all, I wondered if anyone else had found this. Last bill I was charged over my tariff for 3 picture messages I don't recall sending to numbers I didn't recognise. It was a tough month so I shrugged it off when the advisor I spoke to over the phone said long messages can count as picture messages. I do sometimes send long messages, though I've never been charged for picture messages before.

On the 24th January I bought my son a sim which arrived today, and for whatever reason I looked at my account online before even putting it in the phone. He was apparently £1.37 over his tariff! I called and queried it and nice advisor said "Oh yes, looking here, he sent a picture message on the 21st January." I explained that I hadn't bought the sim until the 24th and hadn't received it until today and it's still in it's card. She agreed and said she would reimburse me. I also had her check for any other false usage as I can't access itemised usage online (I've seen it's a fault for anyone with more than one number on their account) there wasn't any. But given my unusual charges for last month, I'm now concerned that Virgin is just randomly charging for picture messages that have never been sent, and I'm doubly annoyed that I can't track that because of the itemised usage glitch. 

I apologise for the length of this - this is also glitchijg everywhere and I can't go back and edit. But I'd be interested to know if anyone else is noticing unexplained charges

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charged for phantom MMS

0 Kudos

All Replies
Sunscreen
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have just received my first bill today haven't used my full data or minutes etc, but got billed an extra £13.90 for 3 x premium txt 'received' on my phone (which I don't see anywhere) and one picture message - which I definitely did not send - not sure how relevant but these all appear in the last three days before my account was due to be refreshed??. Never ever been charged or had any premium txts with any other provider - so again finding this a bit strange, will be in the Virgin Store in the morning and if not satisfied this will be a very short contract

cheers

Sunscreen

0 Kudos
Mummywolf
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's very worrying. I have to say I've been with Virgin for months with no problem, but something's awry here. £13.90? I'd be furious

but like I said to my husband, these are very obvious charges. It's not like quietly skimming something off your allowances. You'll know immediately if you haven't sent/received these things, and they stand out (if the technical glitch doesn't stop you seeing your itemised usage. Hmm)

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos
Sunscreen
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yep, off into the store this morning, read up about 'phantom txt, that's bad enough, but, the 3 premium ones is really taking the ****, been with a few different providers over the years and this is a first, but, it will definitely be the last!!

sunscreen

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Mummywolf
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, JamesofMerton, I'll check my contacts. It's one of those things where technology can get a bit glitchy, pulling contacts from everywhere and not necessarily recognising double entries, etc.

But of course it doesn't explain my son's charges, where the charge was apparently made before I'd even thought to buy the sim! Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos