Menu
Tinatoes
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can't make calls or text from Greece help

Hi all
I am in Greece at the mo and have roaming turned on before I came and am connected to cosmote. I can receive text but not send text or make calls. Also I cannot pick up wifi when out and about only when I am in the hotel tsing their free wifi. Please can anyone help. Thank you
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't make calls or text from Greece help

Tinatoes wrote:
Hi all
I am in Greece at the mo and have roaming turned on before I came and am connected to cosmote. I can receive text but not send text or make calls. Also I cannot pick up wifi when out and about only when I am in the hotel tsing their free wifi. Please can anyone help. Thank you

Have you tried manually selecting  the 'Tim Stet' network and seeing how that one works? There's also 'Vodafine - Panafone' as a network option if you're a pay monthly customer (not available as a PAYG customer.)

Beyond that, login to https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login and then go into Plan and Devices -> Manage Services and check to see there if roaming is still listed as enabled.

So your phone's also not seeing any wireless networks at all when you leave the hotel? or is it more of a connectivity issue?

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Tinatoes
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank u for your reply. I tried to manually get on to Vodafone network but it said no service so I am still on cosmote. Yes confirming your question I do not have any internet when I am just out and about only when I am at the hotel or in a bar using their free wifi. My roaming is enabled still. Do you have any other idea what could be causing this problem? Many thanks for any ideas you may have.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you aren't a pay monthly customer the Vodafone network wouldn't be an option.

After searching about, I found this topic which has a suggestion you can try (check that call barring isn't enabled) by logging into your account then I guess look in "Plan and Devices -> Manage Services": http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Roaming-on-connects-to-network-and-receives-but-can-t-mak...

Excluding that there be some sort of profile issue affecting your account or something else. Unfortunately this would mean calling to the UK from abroad to sort it: +447953967967 (that call would need to be made from say a landline in the hotel, or etc, since your mobile isn't able to call out!)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Tinatoes
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your reply. I did have one thought this is an iPhone 5 and my first time of bringing it abroard. I just checked the settings and should I have data roaming and EU data roaming on?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tinatoes wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply. I did have one thought this is an iPhone 5 and my first time of bringing it abroard. I just checked the settings and should I have data roaming and EU data roaming on?

If you wanted to use data abroad in EU member countries or other countries (outside of Europe) then you'd need those on. There's a EU travel pass which gets you data allowance to use in EU member countries (link) - this will save you money (as without it data would be more costly to use.) Outside of the EU, there's no travel pass, but there is a £45 cap in data costs.

If you don't want your smartphone trying to make use of data abroad (esp. when you haven't paid for a EU travel pass or are not in the EU) then you could put those off.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos