Menu
junepound
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

A foolish action! Help please.

I think I have just done something foolish. I had a text supposedly from my daughter saying that she had sent some video. She gave a contact address - https://149.254.201.140/virgin/ - for use on my PC. I tried to access this but got messages saying that it may be a dodgy address. Nonetheless I ignored that and created an "Exception" . That took me thorough to a poiunt where I was asked for a password which |I did not have. At that point I contacted my daughter who said that she had sent no such message! So what do I do now please? Is that address a dodgy one? Can I undo the "excpetion"? Or what else can I do?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: A foolish action! Help please.

Top right of your browser , 3 little stripes. Click on it

Select options

Click on security

Click on the exceptions box

remove the exception

Job done Smiley Happy

FYI Ive visited the link with vanilla Firefox and it doesn't install anything. No harm in removing the exception though.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Dont Panic

What browser are you using?

0 Kudos
junepound
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Firefox 33.0.1
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Top right of your browser , 3 little stripes. Click on it

Select options

Click on security

Click on the exceptions box

remove the exception

Job done Smiley Happy

FYI Ive visited the link with vanilla Firefox and it doesn't install anything. No harm in removing the exception though.

junepound
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

That's very kind and very helpful indeed - not to say reassuring!

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
desappointed
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My gf got one of these about 3 hrs after your post, supposedly from a friend in her contacts list. There was also a 2nd text with a password.

when opened it led to a page with a virgin media logo & 2 boxes to fill in, 1 requesting her phone no. , the other the password. At this point I was very suspicious so closed the page.

She texted her friend who confirmed no such message had been sent from her so I looked up the address on whois isp.-it's tmobile. Her friend is on o2.

It's worrying that the message appeared to have come from someone in her contacts list yet she never uses her phone for internet so it can't have happened by being online.

I phoned VM tonight so they are aware of this and are investigating as a priority. They say they will  get back to me in 3-5 days with the outcome, when they do i'll let you know.

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi

This is a legitimate website - if you've not set up your MMS settings on your phone, you'll get a text link to this site to view the Picture message that has been sent.

This link should help you be able to set this up:

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/setup3gAndGprs.do?contentId=setting.up.3g.gprs.howdoi.sm101

The Message viewer website is hosted by T-Mobile / EE - as they provide some of our mobile infrastructure.

There is an issue with the security certificate being out of date - I'll get this escalated.

Thanks,

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Menis
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I also got the same message on my Iphone - (https://149.254.201.140/virgin/ - ).
It was purported to be from my daughter but she did NOT send anything. Very worrying as there seems to be more going on than just a security certificate being out of date !
0 Kudos
desappointed
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi James,

Thanks for that info, however we won't be setting this up until your mms are included free.

That aside, the real issue is who has hijacked the person in our contact lists that this fake message is supposed to be from?

Has VM done this ( I assume you have easy access to our contacts) to get people to sign-up to, what is, a very expensive service ?

If not, what is the explanation ?

0 Kudos
JUROB50
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Two of my friends have received the fake text supposedly from ME but I've not sent them anything.  So whether this site is legitimate or not, is irrelevant.  The question is how and why are these messages being sent?

The full text is:  I've sent you an EE Photo/Video Message.  Go to https://149.254.201.140/eeuk/ Your message is valid for 7 days

0 Kudos