Menu
jamesagallagher
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wait for Tivo 2 or get Sky Q?

I'm moving house in September and, to be fair, Virgin have offered me an OK discount for the move.

However, I'd ideally like to wait for Tivo 2. I have a good 4K TV and I'd be annoyed if they brought it out a month into my new contract and then I'd have to wait 11 months to get it.

I'm seriously looking at Sky Q to prevent that from happening.

I totally understand that no Virgin rep is going to want to respond here, given they don't have anything to announce at present. 

Anyone got experience of how these equipment upgrades get rolled out? For example, how did it work when the original Tivo was released?

Would I be able to do a mid-contract upgrade for a fee? And if so, I wonder what kind of ballpark that fee would be in?

Cheers,

Gally

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wait for Tivo 2 or get Sky Q?

I think you are overthinking it.

If you move, get an install of TiVo and TiVo2 comes out, no way VM are going to tell you you cant upgrade- and you have the agreed discount in pace..

As to what the terms are, usually as VM "rent" the equipment to you as part of your contract, any additional charging for an upgrade usually gets marketed as a one off activation charge. These are usually negotiable, and fall off sharply. I THINK Tivo used to be 50 quid?   now its a tenner... so worst case thing something in that ball park

As for timing, no one is sure. Internet pundits are saying October, personally I think that's a little early, Q1 2017 is my guess. But that IS a guess and VM have a habit of surprising us...

0 Kudos
jamesagallagher
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You're probably right. I'm always the same when it comes to signing up for fixed term services.

In all fairness, whenever they release it, we'll be well into 2017 by the time there's any 4K TV worth watching, anyway.

Hopefully the upgrade option will be there, at a competitive price.

Cheers for the reply.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There's not a lot in 4k ATM and my advice for anyone thinking of buying a 4k TV is to wait, HDR is now on most new 4k sets but only LG OLED's have Dolby Vision and HDR meta data is apparently coming soon, also the BBC and several other broadcasters are making new transmition standards for 4k and these are not finalised as of yet so to get built in freeview at 4k (if you require it) it's best to wait