Menu
heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Using iPhone as Remote Control for TiVo

I have just switched from a SH2 to SH3.

With the SH 2 I could use my iPhone with the VM app as a remote control. 

With the SH3 I am getting a 'Not Connected to TiVo Box on Home Network' error message. I click connect but the error message just pops up again.

My TiVo is connected by ethernet to the SH3 exactly the same as my old SH2.

I am signed in correctly on the app as I can see 'My Shows' - and my iPhone is connected to the SH3 network.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong - or steps I need to take to get it working again.

Many thanks.... 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using iPhone as Remote Control for TiVo

any chance the ethernet on the tivo isn't properly plugged in, are the internet lights flashing on the tivo's connection and if you go into its settings does it show as connected and with an ip address on the same subnet as the iPhone.

heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

any chance the ethernet on the tivo isn't properly plugged in, are the internet lights flashing on the tivo's connection and if you go into its settings does it show as connected and with an ip address on the same subnet as the iPhone.

Thanks for your reply Steve. If you mean the green flickering light on the SH3 where the TiVo is connected by ethernet - then yes, all good there. 

I've gone into settings on the TiVo and under Network Connection it is showing an IP address for Cable Modem connection and Ethernet connection - but I'm not sure how to check subnet for the iPhone? 

0 Kudos
heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

OK... so I was being a little thick on my previous reply... I have now checked both Subnets and one digit is different... TiVo ends in 252.0 and my iPhone 255.0

Is this something I can easily change? 

Thanks for help.... 

0 Kudos
heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Still trying to get this sorted...

Have tried rebooting SH3 and TiVo ... disconnecting and reconnecting ethernet (green light flashing nicely)...

If it is the subnet that is the issue... please can someone help me understand what I need to do to fix this.

Many thanks...

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ok for internal internet addresses you could give me the whole ip.. however those numbers sound odd..

usually your hub should be on 192.168.0.1 and all your device ip's should start 192.168.0 and the last digit should be all that changes.

are you ip's similar to that ? or are the ip's your looking at wan ips ?

--edit---

btw the iPhones ip address should be under its Wifi Settings in the information for the network it is connected to.

0 Kudos
heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

ok for internal internet addresses you could give me the whole ip.. however those numbers sound odd..

usually your hub should be on 192.168.0.1 and all your device ip's should start 192.168.0 and the last digit should be all that changes.

are you ip's similar to that ? or are the ip's your looking at wan ips ?

--edit---

btw the iPhones ip address should be under its Wifi Settings in the information for the network it is connected to.

Hi Steve, the numbers I gave above were the last few digits for the Subnet mask numbers as opposed to IP address.

So.... the hub is on 192.168.0.1  - as you say.

Re the TiVo IP address - should I be looking under 'Network Status' or Network Connection?
In any event, the IP addresses for both don't follow 192.168. etc.

Network Status says - IP address: 10.66.15.xxx and Gateway address: 10.66.12.x and Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0

Network Connection says - Ethernet connection details: IP address.: 169.254.251.xxx

Does any of that make sense???

0 Kudos
heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

OK, I am now totally baffled by all of this.

I switched the ethernet to another port - which has actually changed the IP address on the TiVo to 192.168.0.27 - which appears to be correct. But I still can't connect with the VM app to use as a remote which is still telling me the TiVo needs to be on the same network!! 

But I have now discovered that my Blu-Ray DVD player - which is also connected by ethernet - isn't connecting to Netflix etc (which it did with no problems at all on my old SH2). I am also getting a 169.254.xxx.xx IP address - which my 'research' tells me suggests that the SH3 isn't responding to the DCHP request (whatever that means)!

I have also found this - which suggests that others have had an ethernet connection problem with newly installed SH3's - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Superhub-3-Ethernet-not-working/td-p/321... - I will post a message on this thread to see if anyone else got any answers!! 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Wow looks like things are totally messed up.

DHCP... very roughly you plug in a new device and it asks the router for a spare address which the router then gives to it.

the fact that all your devices aren't ending up as 192.168.0.??? would usually imply that DHCP is switched off or you have set a static ip, however as you've spotted others have had similar issues.

Have you tried a pinhole reset, if that doesn't work then you may need a new hub and someone from Virgin staff should be here in about a week to try and sort you out.

heavysoul
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

Wow looks like things are totally messed up.

DHCP... very roughly you plug in a new device and it asks the router for a spare address which the router then gives to it.

the fact that all your devices aren't ending up as 192.168.0.??? would usually imply that DHCP is switched off or you have set a static ip, however as you've spotted others have had similar issues.

Have you tried a pinhole reset, if that doesn't work then you may need a new hub and someone from Virgin staff should be here in about a week to try and sort you out.

Yes, very odd!

DHCP is definitely enabled - or at least that's what it is telling me when I login to the SH3! 

I haven't tried a pinhole reset as yet - I've been reluctant to do so on the basis that wifi is working fine. Not that resetting should cause a problem - but you just never know! I will wait and see if I get a response from VM forum team over the next week or so. If I manage to get it sorted, I will report back here. 

In the meantime, thanks for your help and coming back each time to respond to my comments... it's really appreciated Steve. 

0 Kudos