Menu
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo recording quality vs On-Demand

I recorded part of the Sky Arts Wagner weekend on my Tivo box. We'll skip over the fact if stopped recording one of the programmes after 4 minutes and mysteriously added an extra 3 hours onto the start of another one. (The box has about 70% unused space available for recordings).

I see that one of the operas is now available via Sky Arts On-Demand. Which is going to be better quality - the recording on the Tivo box or watching it via On-Demand?

Thanks,

Nigel

P.S. I have to agree with other threads here - the Tivo box is slow to respond and the YouTube app is hopeless. The old YouTube app ran fine, then it stopped working for a while and was replaced by the new version which has always been slow to use and suffers from stuttering video. It has been updated again recently and is just as bad. I can only assume that the Tivo box is not up to the job! But I digress...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo recording quality vs On-Demand

Hi nigelss,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you've had issues with one of your recordings. Keep an eye on that and let me know if it becomes a recurring issue.

As to the quality, there should be no discernible difference between On Demand and recordings.

All the best!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea why the box went potty and screwed up the recordings. Maybe it was something to do with the fact that both programmes were very long, i.e. 5.5hrs and 6.5hrs, and consecutive in the schedule, and something went wrong with an overlap calculation. Whatever, missed one of them.

I did a quick sum on the basis of a 500Gb Tivo box being able to record 250 hrs of standard quality recordings. It works out at 2Gb/hr, or equivalent to SP quality on a DVD which equates to 2 hours. That should be pretty good. What I want to know is what is the equivalent streaming rate for "Sky Arts On Demand"? If equivalent to 2Gb/hr it would be the same as the recording, but if only 1Gb/hr it would be a significant drop in quality. Some On-Demand stuff is clearly heavily compressed, presumably to save on storage.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi nigelss,

Two live recordings in succession could potentially cause an issue, especially if one of them overruns.

I'll be honest, I'm unsure about the streaming rate for On Demand content although I'm sure it would be less than a recorded program.

That being said, I've never noticed a difference in the quality between a recorded show and an On Demand show.

If you do notice an obviously discernible difference between the two, especially any picture breakup, let me know and I'll investigate it for you.

All the best!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It just gets worse! Last week, the first of the operas was listed under catchup/on-demand. I checked I could play it back and record it but was short of space so I didn't do so - just a test of ten minutes or so. Having missed the third opera due to the Tivo overlap **bleep**-up I was pleased to see it belatedly appear in catchup/on-demand and tried to record it to watch at a later date. Seconds later, fail! - copy protection signal detected, unable to record. I tried the first opera again - the one that I could previously record - and got the same thing: copy protection signal detected. I can only assume this happened because it was now more than seven days since the original transmission. It is absolutely infuriating, given that the listing is identical (same availability dates). Bottom line is there is no way I can see the third opera after this month. I have the others recorded on the Tivo box so I'm assuming they will still play back beyond this month. I just hope at some point the Bayreuth Festival people make it available for those who wish to buy it. I don't think Sky Arts will.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why isnt this board AND ITS MODERATORS notified users that virgin applied a major tivo update last week that has caused some problems with Tivo?

0 Kudos