Menu
HighLevel
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Tivo installed today - Series links (vs Sky)

Hi, 

Had Virgin installed today and trying to get to grips with the 'quirks' of Tivo having made the leap from being a Sky customer since the mid 90's.

In the Sky universe it's press R on  to record and select 'series' - Job done.Where as to the untrained eye scheduling a recording on Tivo looks a word of pain.

Tonight I've gone though trying to mirror programs I had set to record on Sky+ on Tivo and only wanting new series have selected Series Link > and changed 'New & reruns' to 'New only'

However when I now look at my planned recordings I have every showing under the sun for every program - literally pages and pages of the stuff!

As an example, Gold Rush (Discovery) - All I want to is record the current series (6) which is on every Tuesday at 21:00

If I scroll though the program guide to Tuesday and hit 'R' then choose Series Link and modify to only record 'New'. - This should only only record new episodes right?

However in my planned recordings there is god knows how many scheduled recordings of Gold Rush including some days where all episodes are shown back to back. However only the Tuesday 21:00 showing a 'New' symbol next to it?

Worse still Geordie Shore (other half's viewing, not mine!!) results in 10s of planned recordings scheduled each day each day across multiple series - All we want is the new episode each week.

Help!  been tearing my hair out for the past couple of hours, it shouldn't be this hard!

On another note while 'live' HD channel picture quality looks on par with Sky, the Catch up programs in HD look like watching a poor quality You Tube video - all blocky and blurry, especially when fast movement or scene changes. 

For example, watching The Blacklist Season 3 Episode 5 via Tivo catch up its very poor - black/dark scenes especially are all 'crushing' and wavy lines - As I still have Sky subscription active until the end of tomorrow I downloaded the same episode from their on demand and it's crystal sharp and excellent quality???  Is catch up really this bad?

Any help appreciated....

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo installed today - Series links (vs Sky)

HighLevel wrote:

Worse still Geordie Shore (other half's viewing, not mine!!) results in 10s of planned recordings scheduled each day each day across multiple series - All we want is the new episode each week. 

How strange. Mine is set to New only and shows only the Tuesday 10PM showing. As it was only installed today I wonder if needs another couple of connections to the VM servers before the EPG is fully up-to-date (clutching at straws here). When I have oddities like this I normally find that when I check the next day it has sorted itself out so I would check it again tomorrow and if its still the same reboot the box and give it an hour or so (rebooting causes it to connect to the VM servers and pulls down EPG updates).

You could also force a connection by going into Help & Settings >> Network Setting >> Connect to the VM TV Service now (off the top of my head - it's something like that) and leave it for an hour or so.

(And I have to admit the Geordie Shore is my viewing Smiley LOL )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos