Menu
bitengineer
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box - BBC1 HD ok, but other channels show messsage about signal problems

Hi,

Been experiencing problems with Tivo service this evening.  

All the Tivo menus display ok and recorded programs play just fine. However, trying to watch Live TV produces a blank/grey display and after a few seconds a message appears that says there is a problem with the signal on this channel.  I haven't tried all channels but this seems to be happening on all channels I've tried with the one exception being BBC1 HD - which does seem to be working ok.

I don't think this is anything to do with the HDMI cable but I swapped it for another (brand new) one and things are just the same.  I've tried resetting the box - to no avail. 

I'm unable to check the service status - "We are making changes blah blah" but I did look earlier and there didn't seem to be anything affecting us.

TV Anywhere doesn't seem to be working either.

I've no issues with our  broadband service which seems to be working normally.

Can anyone cast any light on my problems?

0 Kudos
bitengineer
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box - BBC1 HD ok, but other channels show messsage about signal problems

Well, this morning, can still get BBC1 HD but now there is no sound.  Previes channel is giving picture (only).  I've rung 150 and engineer is coming tommorow. 

0 Kudos
bitengineer
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box - BBC1 HD ok, but other channels show messsage about signal problems

Previes...should read Previews...I couldn't get anything at all last night on this channel. It does look like a signal level issue.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bitengineer,.

Welcome back and thank you for your post Smiley Happy

Signal problems are never the best and I'm sorry that I've not been in touch sooner to help you. 

I'm chuffed that you've had an engineer out to help you by now, I'd love to know how everything went and if the engineer was able to help resolve a few problems there?

Keep in touch and if there's anything I can help you with please let me know.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
bitengineer
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Engineer sorted out problem I should have spotted........our original cable TV installation had the old V+ box - and the cable TV entry - on the opposite side of the lounge to where the current Tivo is.  The cable got rearranged/extended when the Tivo was installed -  the TV feed still entered at its original location.  My wife was doing some cleaning while I was out and managed to partially drag a cable from out of its end-connector. 

She never said anything about it and it never occurred to me to check this possibility.  She was under the impression that nothing on that side of the lounge actually connected to anything any longer.  Up to a point, that is true. There are a number of redundant audio cables that are the same colour as the cable going to the Tivo and which used to interconnnect various things when I had a huge stack of HiFi seperates located over there.  I left the audio cabling in-situ just in case I needed them again  -and although she won't admit it, I my missus tried giving all the cables a hefty tug, trying to pull them out  completely.......they are normally out of sight behind the shelves of a wall unit  and hidden by piles of books and stuff - another reason I didn't spot the problem as she had put all this stuff back in place by the time I got home.

The engineer spotted the problem within a few minutes of his arriving and also fixed it within a few minutes too. So things are now fine - apart from my still squirming in embarassment at my failure to spot the problem - which I could have fixed for myself truth be told.   10/10 for the Virgin engineer.  0/10 for this one.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi bitengineer, 

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how things went. 

Don't worry, this happens to the best of us. Smiley Happy

If you have any further issues please just let us know.

Take care and have an amazing Christmas. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos