Menu
dmacuk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Update

My Tivo box went through what seemed a major update yesterday morining. Where can I find what was updated?

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Update

So did mine and now the box is even slower than before.

When you go to play something from recorded items it takes ages to register the remote control instructions and i have tried it with two different remotes and its the box.

Whatever the upgrade (enhanced) i dont think it had enough black box testing - what it is with companies these days and their so called testing before rolling out upgrades - its almost as bad as Microsoft - I think i am going to cancel my Tivo anyway and just use my Talktalk box i bought off ebay for £15 as i actually have more channels with it than I do on VIrgin (M) Tariff - ie all the CBS Channels , Men and Movies , Horror Channel etc

Virgin is only good for broadband and mobile these days!

Dialled in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Had update ages now. Been saying how much slower it is. Seems you all got it the same now.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Actually you are correct it updated a month or so ago and the box got slower - updated again last week - with every update it does seem to get slower but its got to the stage now that its quite annoying and i thought the slow talktalk recorded items selection was slow until now!

There is actually a simple fix for the slowness of remote responding and this will get technical - your Tivo programmers need to put the infra-red response subroutine on an irq redirect / event (similar to how an NMI responds) rather than just using a looping subroutine within the main code which is the current way the program works! Some of the Tivo code is quite inventive but some of it is downeright sloppy - i can only presume this i where it was modified after the event by virgins instructions or in-house programmers to work with the Cisco IOS!

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Worse thing is can't choose which channels series link record from anymore. That and the blue button removed from shows and also all the clashes bugs in planning.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That and the fact the box is out of date - The current Tivo Cisco hardware 8620DVB only has 512mb onboard ram to run its program and cache all its data - thats less than a modern Smartphone lol

In my day (yip old fart mode) we used to write optimised self modifying code to fit our games in under 20k of memory which is all we had back then - the problem is programmers are lazy now and write in high level compiled languages not machine code and compilers in general dont use machine code optimisation , self modiyfing code or even something as simple as RLE compression is unknown to modern programmers who think they have plenty of memory and dont need to worry about suqueezing a quart into a pint pot - which we had to use to get round memory limits in the "good old days" of my good buddy Jeff Minter! Aaaaah they were the days when programmers were programmers and not glorified HTML coders with a smidgin of Javascript thrown in! lol

0 Kudos
dmacuk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Luxury, 1st commercial program I had to write was for a 6800 variation with built in 1K ram and 1K eprom, it had to run the traffic lights in Norway. coding was done by hand and on a Ferranti Pegasus to burn the Eprom.

omendata
Superfast
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Nice one dmac i remember going under 1k with the ZX80 but nothing commercial just adventure games in machine code!
I also remember the days of having to write floating point maths on a non floating point cpu and 8-bits - wire frame graphics like David Braben used in elite - now that was one helluva programmer way beyond my maths and abilities in machine code!

0 Kudos
police666
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

both my tivo boxes updated and one was fast the other went slow, deleting all thumbs up and down info sped it up to the fastest i remember it ever being
TimmyM
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

how do I tell if it updated ?

0 Kudos