Menu
Blakeman
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo and AV Amp HDMI Connection

Restarting a thread on this - the problem is that TiVo crashes and reboots when HDMI cable connected to AV amp.

Was there a resolution to this - been with Virgin/NTL for donkeys years on broadband - just got TiVo and
i have the same problem with the HDMI connected to Denon Amp causing TiVo to restart and stop.
Looking at forums it looks like this has been a problem for over ten years - which is a little worrying.
Clearly it is a TiVo problem as the amp port works absolutely fine with SKY, Apple TV, basically anything else.
Works ok when connected directly to TV - however TV sound is rubbish - no point in having Virgin TV if you can't get
Cinema sound quality.
Not happy.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo and AV Amp HDMI Connection

the Tivo works with many other amps with no issues, sounds like its a compatibility problem with your amp and the Tivo.

Couldnt you just link the Tivo to the Tv, then use an optical wire from the tv back into the amp?
0 Kudos

All Replies
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you got latest firmware on AV Amp ? I used to be a Denon guy , but have upgraded to Yamaha Atmos AV amp now.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the Tivo works with many other amps with no issues, sounds like its a compatibility problem with your amp and the Tivo.

Couldnt you just link the Tivo to the Tv, then use an optical wire from the tv back into the amp?
0 Kudos
Blakeman
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info - I'll give it a try but it does defeat the object of easy connectivity and channel selection etc.
I just don't get why all other equipment works on the amp. Even more weird is why an input from one unit should affect an output from another.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
davehutch
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I had issues with the TiVo and a Harmon-Karon amp. the amp reset whenever I switched between 5.1and stereo on the TiVo unless I used optical, in which case I still got loud cracks but it didn't crash. I now have a Marantz with no problems and 9 fewer cables Smiley Happy.

never had the issue with a Denton either

id say the HDMI from the TiVo is poorly implemented and not compatible with all amps, which is probably down to cheap/old Cisco boards

0 Kudos