Menu
leemansfield
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Wi-Fi

I read recently that TiVo boxes in the USA are Wi-Fi enabled but they are not in the UK.  Does anyone know why this is and when we will be getting Wi-Fi TiVo boxes over here?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo Wi-Fi

Although Virgin Media, as Ben correctly says, advise the use of Ethernet cable or Powerline, you can make the TiVo wifi-capable by adding a universal wifi adapter, such as the Netgear WNCE2001.

I use this method and it works very well.

The adapter plugs into TiVo's Ethernet port and takes its power from TiVo's USB.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi enabled TiVo boxes in the US are a more recent hardware design that the Virgin Media TiVo boxes.

Virgin Media haven't yet confirmed if / when there will be a new hardware design for TiVo and if there is what it'll include.

However, although WiFi does make things simpler for connection, it isn't as reliable as a wired connection. This is why Virgin Media recommend using a Ethernet cable or Powerline connection to connect your TiVo box to your home network.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Although Virgin Media, as Ben correctly says, advise the use of Ethernet cable or Powerline, you can make the TiVo wifi-capable by adding a universal wifi adapter, such as the Netgear WNCE2001.

I use this method and it works very well.

The adapter plugs into TiVo's Ethernet port and takes its power from TiVo's USB.

0 Kudos
leemansfield
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the answers guys.  Looks to me like Virgin need to sort out their equipment and get some up to date tech out here in the market.  I doubt I will be forking out another 40 quid when I already pay over 120 quid a month for this service.

I must admit that I am getting more aggrieved with the Virgin Media service every month!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I suggest that the reason wifi is not on our TiVo is that there is no need for connection between TiVo and your home network for the vast majority of TV Anywhere function.

0 Kudos