Menu
K3lly1988
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of leaving

I am thinking of leaving virgin as I don't understand why my bill has gone up to £110 a month it seems to go up all be time and for the amount of money I pay I would expect to have amazing service but unfortunately I don't as on a number of occasions my on demand services do not work and my recording always jump so I can't even watch the programme. My friend has the exact same package at me and only pays £70 a month so don't understand why mine is so much. Is there a fee to leave?
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of leaving

There is no fee unless you are within your initial contract period (6/12/18 months whatever it is).

First, research an alternative solution such as Sky, BT, Talk Talk etc. Decide on a service that meets your needs and is a price you want to be paying (e.g £70, but it could be less). Moneysupermarket and other comparison sites are invaluable for this. Don't forget to factor in line rental and what the bill will be *after* the discount period (if there is one)

Second, phone Virgin and tell them, with no prevarication, that you are leaving, and be prepared (see above!) to carry out your threat. You will find that they will be amazingly co-operative to find you a contract that suits you.

I was in the exact same position as you with the charges creeping up until they were always over £100. After some research, I am now paying around £55 for virtually the same service. The only drawback was the Tivo box that I had to get, which was rubbish and is getting worse - even though it was sold to me as a benefit.

Look into whether the metered charges on your bill such as calls to landlines outside free hours, and calls to mobiles add up to more than the cost of getting these included into the monthly bill. If so, switch the tariff. You can include anything you want

Look at the channels you are paying for in your TV package and whether you actually ever watch them. You can downgrade.

If you have sports but only use a couple of times a month, and some months not at all, you would be better off getting ad-hoc NowTV passes. That is what I do. (never had sports)

If you are paying for premium films, consider how many you watch a month. They are also available ad-hoc, if that floats your boat. Personally, I prefer to wait a year or two before watching on Netflix.

If your internet speed is satisfactory, they will try to sell you ever faster speeds at extra cost. That may be useful, but for many people it isn't. I depends if you have multiple people in the house sharing the connection, and if you do big downloads frequently. If neither of these is true, it is unlikely your higher speed will make any difference to your experience. So don't pay for what you are not using.

Any use?
0 Kudos
beeman1958
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of leaving

Hi K3lly1988.

under rules set by Ofcom existing customers are allowed to leave penalty free if they are unhappy with a notified price increase.

So if you have had a letter informing you of a price increase you have the right to request cancellation of your contract.

You need to act within 30 days of receiving the letter though.

0 Kudos