Menu
marsboy
Up to speed
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Overnight TiVo Box Restarts - The cause!

Hi all,

There have been a few discussions about the TiVo restarts. I have had this for 3 weeks - now in 4th. I called Tech Support to find out why. It has been mentioned here that the problem is down to Upgrades in the area.

After a lengthy discussion (the usual "We need to swap your box out" and me speaking to a manager) I got told that my area is in a pilot area and these are nightly upgrades to the network. I got asked to speak to Customer Care and raise a complaint about this and finally I got some information!

The upgrades are being referred to "Next Generation TiVo". They didnt say if this is a new box or a new upgrade, but did confirm that engineers restart the TiVo overnight and this can cause outages.

For a communications company, such as Virgin, to do such frequent reboots of my kit for such a long time without any warning, or updates on the status pages, is unaccepable. I often record movies overnight, and series links get clashed recordings from late night replays. These are all failing for me, where is the service Virgin!

Tell your customers! I am not against updates, but am against not being informed about what is happening and why. Noone could give me a end date, so that is 1 month of distrupted service, missed recordings and not one person at virgin can tell me when this will go back to normal.

I think I might join the virgin exit list! An official complaint will be on its way via the post (so look out for it Virgin!)  

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overnight TiVo Box Restarts - The cause!

marsboy wrote:

Hi all,

There have been a few discussions about the TiVo restarts. I have had this for 3 weeks - now in 4th. I called Tech Support to find out why. It has been mentioned here that the problem is down to Upgrades in the area.

After a lengthy discussion (the usual "We need to swap your box out" and me speaking to a manager) I got told that my area is in a pilot area and these are nightly upgrades to the network. I got asked to speak to Customer Care and raise a complaint about this and finally I got some information!

The upgrades are being referred to "Next Generation TiVo". They didnt say if this is a new box or a new upgrade, but did confirm that engineers restart the TiVo overnight and this can cause outages.

For a communications company, such as Virgin, to do such frequent reboots of my kit for such a long time without any warning, or updates on the status pages, is unaccepable. I often record movies overnight, and series links get clashed recordings from late night replays. These are all failing for me, where is the service Virgin!

Tell your customers! I am not against updates, but am against not being informed about what is happening and why. Noone could give me a end date, so that is 1 month of distrupted service, missed recordings and not one person at virgin can tell me when this will go back to normal.

I think I might join the virgin exit list! An official complaint will be on its way via the post (so look out for it Virgin!)  

..add your thoughts here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-box-Rebooting-at-06-55am-for-the-...