Menu
davehutch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Old recording now inaccessible

A couple of years ago, shortly after buying a 3D TV the BBC broadcast a 3D episode of Doctor Who. As there are almost no 3D programmes I kept it so I could show it to friends once in a while. I tried to watch it the other day but got the message that it was no longer available as BBC RB HD...wasn't available any more. This is ridiculous!

On any other recording box, the file is the file and you can play it back whenever you want to.

Why does it still need the channel to be available if I have the recording? Does that mean that if I record an entire series on a channel that subsequently becomes unavailable I lose the whole series?

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old recording now inaccessible

Maybe the TiVo just recorded the link rather than the actual programme to save space? 

I also recorded that episode on a usb drive connected to my smart TV but then found that the TV won't accept an external drive as a suitabe 3D source. I've now purchased a blu-ray disc from Amazon.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have a feeling that the reason this won't work is because the channel no longer exists in the EPG.

Unfortunately another timely reminder that any recording box is not there to serve as a permanent archive, but there for time-shifting for later viewing (given the broadcast in question, the irony is not lost Smiley Wink ).

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Any other box? Sky boxes do the same if you do not have a subscription to the channel anymore
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the channel exists than for any channel except the Sky ones, you can access the recording for as long as it's on the box and the box is in service for you.

If the channel is removed, then Virgin's right to keep that content on their box goes with it, although there is normally a time gap between the channel ceasing and recording access ceasing as well.

Additionally for Sky channels you can't playback recordings for a channel that is no longer in your package subscription.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I found out last year that some recordings made on XL package wouldn't play on Tivo when I reduced to M+ package as the channels were no longer available in the M+ package, subsequent recordings when played only showed blank screen and no sound.

0 Kudos