Menu
billgreen
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Noisy HDD on Tivo box

We installed a Tivo box about 6 weeks ago and immediately noticed the noisy HD drive.  An engineer came and said they all do that as if that justified it, but I now know that they don't all do that.  My son installed one a month ago and the HDD is quiet.  Ours is a Cisco, his is a Samsung.  Ours is noisy all the time when the box is on and some of the time when it's off and it is a constant distraction when we are watching television.  Virgin seem to want us to believe that a noisy HDD is normal, but we shouldn't accept that -  HDD's don't have to be noisy.  Those drives are faulty, but Virgin refuse to admit it.

I'd like Virgin to supply us with a quiet ie no HDD noise Tivo box.  Is that possible?  If not, we'd like to revert to the V+ box.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy HDD on Tivo box

Hi there billgreen, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm sorry to hear that your noisy TiVo® is causing you some earache. 

I have both a Cisco and Samsung TiVo® in my home, and really can't tell the difference, you do occasionally hear the hard drive whirling, though if the TV is on at an acceptable level, I never hear the TiVo® boxes. 

One thing that could help is looking at where the TiVo® is located, if this is on a glass surface, this can make things sound louder, I've heard of some people placing some paper underneath to reduce the vibration. The best advice I've heard regarding this, is to pick up the box whilst it's making this noise, should the noise continue then it won't be the surface it's sat on.

If the noise is so loud that it is disturbing your viewing, then I'd have to look into getting another technician out to take a second look. 

I've sent you a private message in order to get things moving should you wish for another technician to call out. Please look to the top left of this page where you'll see a red envelope icon. Click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jamesk20
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good Evening,

I have had a TiVo box installed for two days and can hear the hdd over the TV it is distracting and I have been with Sky for four years and never heard the hdd. Can you arrange for a replacement box ASAP. I know this is a faulty hdd as I am an IT engineer

Many thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamesk20,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® box is being a bit noisy at the moment.  

I can see you have an engineer booked to come and get this sorted, it would ba great to hear back how you get on afterwards, please keep me posted Smiley Happy

We're here to help if you need us.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos