Menu
emailmisery
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Massive blocking / freezing / pixellating after tivo exchanged

We had a new tivo fitted because the old one was VERY slow. The new one is no quicker and the picture keeps freezing, ripping, blocking on any channel. This is the umpteenth callout to VM, the guy "fixed" our superhub at the same time and that keeps dropping connection intermittently at least once a day. 

Are Virgin charging for a service they cannot deliver? Every month, without fail, I deliver my money to them yet they consistently fail to provide the service and backup. I am out of a fixed contract, the price has skyrocketed, there seem to be fewer reasons than previously to stay, but I like VM - it just isn't working. Please can somebody from Virgin get this sorted ou, I do not want to spend half a day talking to Manila / Mumbai just to be told "turn it off and turn it back on again."

If this forum allows links, here is a sample of tonight's gobbledeygook:

http://vid863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/justsomepix/pixels.mp4

And this is costing me £80 per month? 

Please, fix it!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive blocking / freezing / pixellating after tivo exchanged

Hi emailmisery,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear your new TiVo® box is still having problems with picture quality. I've seen the video you've included and it's poor.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. I'm still seeing one power level of the TiVo® and also Super Hub out of range. This will require an engineer visit to resolve.

I'll now send you a private message to discuss further. To view this click on the red envelope on the top left.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
emailmisery
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and for this pm:

-----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi emailmisery,

I extend my apologies once again for the troubles you've had with the picture quality.

As mentioned, I'd like to arrange for an engineer to resolve this. I appreciate this is a repeat fault so I'll make sure this is passed to a more senior engineer to investigate.

Our appointments range from 8-12, 12-4, or 4-7 Monday to Friday and between 8-12 and 12-4 on a Saturday. Please provide 2 or 3 times and I'll book the earliest.

I'd also need:-

Name on account:

Mobile number:

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately this is really the last straw. "Senior engineer"? Are the previous ones you sent not competent?  If so, why send them out in the first instance? We don't want another guy come poking round taking out the attennuators the last one put in (or vice versa, depending on which month it is).

Looking at the number of similar complaints, it is obvious there is a nationwide fault or failure to provide service. We have had brand new superhubs, a brand new Tivo, and a complete re-pull from street cab to house, all internal cables are by your own engineer's comments better than standards, yet we still can't watch tv. It's not me, it's you.

Please just sort it out at your end or we will have to try and find a system that works. I know we won't get the broadband speed or the hd channels or a smart pvr, but I'm not getting that now, and it's costing me £80 a month. I have a weeks leave starting Monday July 6th. If you haven't fixed your end of your problem by then, reluctantly I'll be leaving Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi emailmisery,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your concerns and I'd really like to help.

An engineer will need to attend the property to check the power levels of the equipment. This is what I'm seeing as the fault this end.

The power levels fault is not related to a nationwide problem. It's specific to the cable which services your property. Whether the fault lies inside or outside the property is up to the engineer to determine.

Please let us know if you do wish to proceed.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
emailmisery
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

When you say we have a power level fault is this with the power supplied by your street cab? Everything inside the house was checked at last visit. If it's outside, just fix it. Nothing you have done inside the house has worked. Is your ageing cable system oversubscribed and can't cope with the traffic? Are you skimping on maintainable and repair? If it was an indoor fault why has it not been fixed at one of the previous visits?
0 Kudos
Wizzit
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi emailmisery

Is the fault with the channels all the time or only some times and is it only on certain channels?

0 Kudos
emailmisery
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Any channel, any time.
0 Kudos
Wizzit
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

A fault affecting all channels is usually the effect of either badly degrading or weakened signals between the street cabinet and the equipment, especially if the problem is persistant on all channels all the time. It could also point to a faulty box or faulty tuners, but usually the fault is more intermittant unless all the tuners are at fault.

I would recommend an engineer visit, but make sure to ask them to check all and replace any connections that are not new, a senior engineer would be a better choice if you can get one.

0 Kudos
emailmisery
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I keep telling them that if it's affecting the tivo and the superhub, both of which are brand new, it's probably an external issue. One man comes and puts filters in, next time another man comes and takes them out. We now have a Senior Engineer coming on Tuesday. Ho hum.
0 Kudos
stevieray
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well said -as well as You Tube issue mine loses connection frequently to wifi..and if I hear the word reboot one more time I shall scream ¥
0 Kudos